I Forge Iron

So I came across some thick steel disc plates...

Some 3.25" thick, 16" diameter steel disc plates (two of them) came up on CL.
I don't see stuff like that thickness come up too often, so I snagged them immediately as I figured they wouldn't last long at the price being asked.
Each disc is about 200 pounds, and I couldn't let them slip by.

Now the question is what to do with them for the best use?
I was thinking I could incorporate them stacked into an anvil stand, right under the anvil for extra mass and rigidity.
Or a separate striking surface, almost like a flat saw maker's anvil that would be 6.5" thick and 16" across, about 400 pounds.

If you had a couple of round plates like this, what would you do with them?

pounds.

If you had a couple of round plates like this, what would you do with them?

For an anvil stand I'd just use one disc on the bottom and go up to the desired ht. with pipe or sq tube, fill it with crete, level it off, put some conveyor belt between the crete and anvil then use the draw chain method to cinch the anvil down (this also quiets it). Rolling it about will be easy but it will stay put with that much mass esp on the bottom..... That much mass under a small (100+-) to medium (200-)anvil gives it more umph imo........May sound like overkill but this works well for me..........

I have a similar sized disk as the base on a stock support stand. It sounds like overkill but when supporting heavy stock in the forge the stand tipping or moving could be dangerous. The stand also works well for supporting long bars or pipes when using my Hossfeld bender. I have a T that fits in the stand that is about 6' long which allows it to support the end which does move as the pipe is seating in the die. A lighter stand will tip and skid around which can be very frustrating.

For forging I have one about that size for upsetting long bars, be careful not to bank it off your shins when hot. I also mounted a post vise with wheels on one similar to what you are describing, works like a protable basketball goal. The last, I have mounted a small drill press on one smaller that what you are describing. They all work great and love them.

Two 3.25" thick, 16" diameter steel disc plates, each about 200 pounds, and I couldn't let them slip by. Now the question is what to do with them?

Ahh, the joy of a great find followed by a reality check. Cash the reality check by putting them to use (BIG GRIN)
Been there, done that. And most likely will do it again. :)
Good score.

Ahh, the joy of a great find followed by a reality check. Cash the reality check by putting them to use (BIG GRIN)

I have a feeling most anyone here would have snagged them just as fast if the opportunity were in front of them for cheaper than scrap price! ;)

Dad used one 2" x 24" for the post vise base. I used another for a large shop vise. On concrete you just tip, and roll to move it. On gravel I towed it with my Saturn wagon.

Target, door stop, weight in the trunk for better traction, pendulum weight, trash can lid keeper downer, dog chain weight, wheels for a really heavy duty hand truck, TV remote control fob, aluminum can smasher, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

I was at an auction once and there were some 5' diameter 1/2" steel plate rounds that were dished. Picked them up to make fancy fire pits out of only to find that the top two were dished and the rest flat.

Boy have they come in handy! First thing was a trashcan base where the local dogs can't knock them over---I forged two simple circles of steel on shafts that fit right below the handle area and have their bases welded to the plate.

Made a welding table from another, used another for a gate, etc...