I Forge Iron

9264 type steel?

G'day All,

would like some advice on some steel bar I've been given. Was visiting a saddler I know and commented on some great looking punches he'd made at his forge. He told me they were made from rail clips (18mm round bar) and he'd looked into the company who made them and the steel was 9264.
Question is, apart from leather or wood working tools, what would this stuff be good for? Blades? Hawk/axe edge? hot/cold tools? include in a billet?
Have mostly only worked with mild and spring steels to date and am not very knowledgable on steel types as yet.
Thanks for any and all advice.

(tried searching the site for info on this, but perhaps didn't look in the right place, so posting here)

I don't know about 9264 but rail clips have to be tough and not prone to work hardening. Do a basic test run, making a cold chisel isn't a bad test and see how it performs.

I'm thinking it'd be a good strength component for blades and such. I have the rectangular rail clips and they're excellent for tongs, drifts and prybar like tools. I'm keeping my eyes open for the new type clips to experiment with.

Frosty The Lucky.

My literature is too old to have 9264. However in the Society of Automotive Engineer numbering system [sAE], 9260 is an alloyed spring steel. 9262 is alloyed similarly, but has a little extra chromium added. The predominant alloys are Silicon and Manganese. The last two digits, 64, would indicate a close approximation of carbon content, ie., 0.64, expressed arithmetically as 64/100 of 1%. 9260 is oil hardening. A common auto spring steel in the states is 5160, and it is likewise a silicon/manganese steel. 5160 is oil hardening.

The way the numbering system works.The first digits, 92 is the type of steel.In this instance, manganese 0.85%; silicon 2.00%; chromium 0 or 0.35%. The last two digits are the carbon content.

Ok, thanks fellas. Sounds like suck-it-and-see, which is pretty much what I was going to do, just thought I'd check if someone had experience using this stuff.
Frank, it certainly is a spring steel, thanks much for the break-down.
Larry, Frosty, yes, -tongs and chisels are on the agenda and perhaps a try at a blade to see how it shapes up
Thanks again....

So far as standard alloys are concerned in the 92XX grades, you could have 9254, 9255, 9260 and 9262. There is no 9264 offered as a common grade from the mills but we can't assume it wasn't a special run for someone. Regardless, they are all heat treated in similar fashion and will yield medium to high hardenability from 45 to 58 Rc, depending on tempering conditions.

I make prybars and tuyere cleanout bars (12' long ) for a local steel mill out of 9260. It is a pretty tough steel. I have used some drops for hot and cold chisels and punches and it seems to hold up really well. I don't know the difference between the 9260 and 9264 but I would guess they are reasonably close in properties. The 9260 is fairly close to S6 tool steel.

I would think the 92 designation should mean the chemistry is the same for all 92 series steels and the 64 should be the carbon content. Am I wrong in this?
This is untrue for the 10xx series as well as the 92xx series. Many smiths have been taught this, but it is a myth.

see http://www.timken.co...se_Steels_1.jpg and Vfor 92xx

see http://www.timken.co...bon_steels1.jpg for 10xx

With designations as close as 9264, 9262, and 9260, the HT should be very similar. If you have a kiln, the books say to austenitize 9260 at 1600F and quench in oil.

Hmmm, just confirms that I've still got a lot to learn about steel types. Pretty much all I've used to date has come from scrap piles/dumps. Playing around with this stuff will hepl with the experience..and like MO, I'll be a little less blissfully ignorant.

HW, it was a special run, for the new rail line through the NT a few years back and there will be heaps of these things around
Thomas, for cutting edges, will this stuff weld into mild like other spring steels, or should I treat it differently?
NJ, good to know as I need to make up some more hot/cold chisels. Will give it a go at making a touch mark as well and see how it performs
thingmaker, thanks for the links...and if I don't have a kiln, which i don't, how would you treat this stuff? Any particular colour prioe to quench? (May have to try and get some of those Pyro crayons)

Buying boric acid at the Chemist will cost $$$, buying it at the hardware store as roach killer is *much* cheaper and the stuff sold here is 97% boric acid 3% colouring agent to let you know it's not a food stuff. (The old stuff was 100% boric acid---I buy it when it shows up at the fleamarket cheap)