I Forge Iron

New anvil, needs work

Cheers guys. I reckon about 1mm should do it. The dents (what ever you want to call them) aren't particularly deep, but they're deep enough to show up. The guy rebuilds power hammers and has a few anvils so it should be ok.

Does £50 seem like a reasonable charge?

I would be on hand ideally but it depends what happens with work and he said I'd have to wait until he's finished with the jobs on it currently.

If you have a portable belt sander, you could probably do it yourself with some coarse-grit belts.  You'll definitely burn up fifty pounds worth of time and materials doing it, so your mate's shop rate isn't unreasonable.  That he's also a smith makes me feel really good about him knowing how to handle an anvil.

• 2 months later...

Well lads, I bit the bullet and yesterday my anvil went to the shop to have its face cleaned up.

I didn't realise but he rebuilds and repairs big power hammers and hydraulic presses! He has several 10/15/20 cwt power hammers. He even let me use a 2cwt hammer along with an induction forge! - can you guess what I want for next Christmas?
Seriously impressive kit.

He showed me his anvil that he'd cleaned up in the same way: oddly enough a 2cwt Peter Wright and it looked great.

Do I need to mention his collection if anvils, including three 5.5cwt Anvils, two Peter wright's and a brooks! Utter monsters! I mean these anvils are so big I wouldn't even know where to begin working on them!
Needless to say I was in love.

Anyway, I'll get some "after" pictures up when I collect it in a few weeks.

All the best
Andy

a thick chunk of hardenable steel machined so there was a flat plate on top and a square peg on the bottom that was a good fit in your hardy hole would have given you a nice smooth place to work for those things that need it, hope it is ok and works well.

off to light the forge here soon and get some work done

Sounds like he ended up at John N. s shop so he should be OK, but I would have rather seen a hardy hole bottom flatter than grinding any of that extra hard Peter Wright top plate away.

On the other hand maybe that is just what a big Peter Wright needs, a slightly softer plate so a chunk of it doesn't break off.

Is John N still posting here?

I'm not sure if John is still posting here but that is indeed where she's being worked on.

Let me be clear,

These are not dents. The face is not soft. These marks seem to be the result of weathering from being left outside.

I'm having less than 1mm removed from the face. The anvils life might indeed be shortened but I'm sure it will see out my blacksmithing career.

Cheers
Andy

I'm not sure if John is still posting here but that is indeed where she's being worked on.

Let me be clear,

These are not dents. The face is not soft. These marks seem to be the result of weathering from being left outside.

I'm having less than 1mm removed from the face. The anvils life might indeed be shortened but I'm sure it will see out my blacksmithing career.

Cheers
Andy

If you want to be really clear, read what I wrote again. I didn't say the plate was soft, I said it was extra hard, but just so you know, it will be softer after it is milled. That is just a simple fact. However, as I pointed out in the previous post, that is likely a good thing, since Peter Wright top plates are so hard that they are prone to chipping, cracking and breaking. 

• 1 month later...

Right then. I picked her up yesterday and boy does she look nice now.
I went over the entire anvil with a wire wheel to clean it all up a bit. Then gave it a quick polish and coat of oil.

There has been a weld line exposed on the face near the hardy hole, it's ever so faint, almost like a thin pencil line across the face. It's no where near the sweet spot so I don't foresee any issues.

image.jpg

During the clean up I exposed a faint anchor stamp on the foot under the horn.

image.jpg

I've always assumed this was a Royal Navy mark but please correct me if I'm wrong?

All the best
Andy