I Forge Iron

Forged iron work in New Orleans

I am going with my wife to New Orleans next week for a conference she has at work and will have four days to wonder around and see the sights. Having never been there, can anyone familiar with the city point me in the right direction to see some outstanding iron work. I know there must be some given New Orleans place in history.
Thanks,
Mike

There is some fairly nice hardware on their big nighttime wooden shutters. I was there is 1973 and went downtown to 2nd hand stores buying old hinges and bolts for about 75 cents to one dollar each.Those days are over. Everyone brags on The Corn Fence, which is cast, painted green and yellow, and garish.

As Mac pointed out, most of what you are going to see there is cast iron. Shutter and door hinges some are forged, some are welder creations made modern with pipe barrels welded to cut straps. I recomend you check out the fence at the Cabildo, in Jackson Square. hammered pointed pickets, and pierced rail . Tall and curved it is a nice bit o work. Suprisingly it is a modern re-creation as the Cabildo burned in the early eighties!

Frosty; it's coming on heating season again---are you taking precautions? The trees may be lining up another hit on you...

Yes I AM! Heck, I have to build a proper wood shed soon, the old one was more tent and is now more like a tarp. We're buying firewood now, Deb gets darned jumpy if I pick up a chainsaw and I'm not so comfy with one myself. Next time I start cutting trees it'll be after I push them over and pile them up with an excavator. Gotta LOVE an excavator with a thumb. They have the most heavily armored cabs of most equipment, it's really easy to flip a boulder with the bucket or knock something up high over on you. Armor is good, all you really have to worry about is tipping over so I wear the seat belt and now a helmet.

Frosty the Lucky.

the first photo is cast iron. Didn't bother looking at the rest.

Aye many of the photos don't make a distinction. If you're a bit interested in the local history of blacksmiths in the area.. I found the link near the bottom interesting.. Sadly no real work photos, but it reminded me of that David Lee Murphy song - A little dust on the bottle. :P

I was wondering around the streets of New Orleans yesterday and did find some old hand forged hinges with forge welds where they were folded back and welded around the pin. It was hard to see the hammer marks because of all the paint on them. Also, found an old machine shop and it was real cool. It took up about half a block and the doors opened up on 3 different streets. I like all kinds of metal working and stopped to look in the shop. A guy was working a lathe by one of the doors and came over to talk. He told me what they did there ( general machine shop work mainly for the ship industry ). I asked him did they they do any forging and he said that two guys who did the forging work had got old and retired. He said that at one time they forged a lot of big shackles and hooks, etc. I asked him did they have any of the old tools around. He said that they sold a large forge and power hammer about two years ago!!! I hope it didn't go for scrap. I always seem to be a day late and a dollar short.