I Forge Iron

Monster Fisher Questions

I've got a lead on a huge fisher, it is 38" from front to back. The face has some torch damage but it's nothing that cant be fixed.

Two questions. (and I appreciate any help, very much)

The first would be, what would something like this weigh? My guess would be 500? I found specs on a 450# that was 35" front to back.

And the second question is how much is it actually worth once I start talking numbers with the guy? I looked around but did not come up with much, a couple that said $600-$800

Thanks,
Matt P

Edit:
I attached a picture. There is a pack of smokes on the left side of the anvil for a size comparison.

post-23884-0-11602800-1346552146_thumb.j

Prices are all over the place depending on location, condition, maker, size, etc.. There is a thread titled real prices of anvils that may help some. As a start you can offer $1 a pound and see what they say. The weight should be on the side, and the date of mfg cast on the base/foot. Sometimes it is best to ask the seller what they want because they set a price lower than what you are thinking-had it happen a few times. The first one to state a price usually loses =) I have a 260# Fisher, and I like how it is quieter than other makes.

When you go to make an offer have the money in your pocket-Ben Franklins works really well. Don't get caught up in the moment, and only offer what YOU can afford. If the price they state is too high be prepared to walk away. They may let you leave , or they may drop to your price, but only pay what you can afford.

What size work do you do? It would be nice to have a monster anvil, but I haven't done anything too big for even my 125# JHM. If you do big work, and will be having strikers helping a big anvil would be nice to have. If you do mainly smaller work than it could be overkill.

The edges look reasonably good. The top looks very flat!

The overall condition looks (according to one picture) very good, and the size just isn't seen that often.

My "new" Fisher measures 29" OAL, 14" OAH and has a Top Plate that's 5.25" wide. She weighs in the 300# range.

Edited to remove anything even remotely speculative or humorous.

Edited by VaughnT

1. My specs put a 38" overall anvil at 500 lbs. It only take a bit more to make it a 600 lber. Markings on the front foot indicate its weight; weighing it works best.

2. VaughnT, please DO NOT ever mention xxxxx or any other false stuff about Fisher anvils. It was never used. I realize this was an attempt at humor, but it is also how false rumors get started. Please remove it from you post.

3. No Fisher anvil above 400 lb ever had mounting lugs, except by special order. The lack of them on an anvil this big has nothing to do with the date.

4. If there is a date, it will be on the slope under the heel. If not, a better picture of the "Eagle" would help to date it.

5. As long as the face plate is intact, torch cuts can be ground and welded, then reground. I do not know the correct rods; I leave that advise to pro welders.

That anvil can be repaired. My friend has a #260 Fisher that he welded up some abused edges on years ago and it still looks like a new anvil today and he's a full time bladesmith using it as his main workhorse anvil. So, don't be frightened of the rough hardy hole.

It will take some work to repair so use it to your advantage in negotiating!

I would LOVE to get that anvil. Good luck!

Thanks for the info everyone!

That anvil can be repaired. My friend has a #260 Fisher that he welded up some abused edges on years ago and it still looks like a new anvil today and he's a full time bladesmith using it as his main workhorse anvil. So, don't be frightened of the rough hardy hole.

It will take some work to repair so use it to your advantage in negotiating!

I would LOVE to get that anvil. Good luck!

My 90lb fisher looked much worse than that when i got it. It's all fixed up now. It took me some time but it's nice now. I am also a full time blade smith and do axes from time to time. I figured if I could land this thing at a good price It would be great for that, although still a little large :)

I just have to wait to hear back from the guy.

Thanks again everyone. I'll post up here when I find out more.

Stewart, I'll let you know if he wants more than I can pay.

My main shop anvil is a mint condition 515# Fisher from a Blacker powerhammer---wouldn't turn down a bigger one either! (that display of Fisher Products at the Smithsonian always left me dehydrated and the janitors complaining about the drool puddles...)

Lack of ring is one of the BEST things about Fishers!