I Forge Iron

What's a good use for old C.I. logging sled runners?

Haven't you taken a close look? It shouldn't be all that difficult to tell if they're cast, mild or WI just by looking at the corrosion pattern. Frankly I'd be surprised if something as brittle as cast iron were used for sledge runners, even backed by timbers there's a lot of flex involved in a normal day's work.

If they're mild steel they'd be good stock for whatever project needs the dimensions available. If WI forged architectural or decorative products are a given. Cast. . . ?

Frosty The Lucky.

I would doubt that they would be cast iron as they would break if flexed or hit a rock. Much more likely wrought iron. Can you saw partially through and break off a corner? CI breaks easily WI will give you a green stick fracture.

Unfortunately CI and WI can be confused in the easier grinder test.

Building a power hammer anytime soon? Use them to add mass to the lower portion of the anvil.

Lathe bed?

Otherwise I don't know. They are useable for making light duty swages if you wanted to, say leaf veins and stuff of the like, but I don't think you will use six feet (or twelve feet if you have two of these!)

Getting scrap rate might be best, especially if you have a yard that will trade.

Phil

Frankly I'd be surprised if something as brittle as cast iron were used for sledge runners, even backed by timbers there's a lot of flex involved in a normal day's work

Frosty The Lucky.

I remembered hearing this years ago. Maybe from that old movie about Bens Mill? Not sure. Anyway for what it's worth....

http://www.kountrylife.com/cgi-bin/topic.cgi?bd=forum&th=39494

Posted 12-03-2002 at 20:21:07 [Reply] [No Email]

Thats the same type of sleigh, DC, only alot smaller. the farm type had two inch wide runners,the size shown probably had three or four inch wide and was used strictly for logging as you say....to keep the runners from freezing down, the sleigh was pulled up on poles layed crosswise. One other secret was to use cast iron runners instead of steel...only problem was the cast would not stand up to the abuse like steel would. Still another method used to "break" the sleighs loose, was with another horse hooked up to a snatch block system hooked to a "dead man", [large timber dug into the ground in the summer and frozen in in