I Forge Iron

Grabbed my first post vise today.

quint

PIcked this guy up off CL, first time I had scene one local that I wouldnt have to drive 2hrs to pick up and it was $100 which I dont think is great but around where I live any of this stuff fetches a pretty penny or two. Its a 4" vise. Other then that I dont know anything about it, works good, cant find any letters or anything on it, may be some under the paint not sure.

Any idea what it is from the overall design by chance.

Thanks all, oh and is a general purpose grease good enough for the threads?

post-26117-0-31113500-1344812999_thumb.jpost-26117-0-23957400-1344813009_thumb.j

That's a fine looking post vise, jaws align and no big buggers on it. Sure, general purpose grease is fine, I like graphite grease it makes it easier to break loose if I have to really tighten it down. I can't say what the make is but it looks a lot like mine. That's a pretty common look, I don't know the make of my 4"er either.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thats good to hear, figured it was the lowest priced one around here and had all the parts. Didnt think I was ready to make a spring and attachment and what not with my minimal experience. Thanks for the input guys, appreciated.

All depends on where you are as to what you will have to pay. My most recent four inch was 25 bucks. It was complete and useable. Other fellows I have talked to from other parts of the country claimed I should have had a mask and gun while making that deal.

Nice Pugman, sounds like some great deals. Now that I have one I can wait for deals on other ones. Ive scene so far about 4 listed in my area all for 100-200$ and seems to be worse shape they are more pricey they get. Ahh well cant complane.

Center of the country tends to have lot cheaper smithing stuff than the edges! I remember buying a postvise at a fleamarket in Ohio once and was going to give the dealer US$25 till a friend took me aside and tell me "don't pay him $25----or else he'll want that every time he sells a postvise!" So I offered him $20... At one time when I lived in Ohio I had 12 postvises with the most expensive one being a 6" one that ran me $50....Out here were *very* happy to pay $50 for a 4" vise.