I Forge Iron

Scottish Short Blade

Matthew Paul

Well, I'm not sure if this really belongs in Swordsmithing or the knife area, but I'll put it here. I based this design off of a bunch of different photographs of Scottish Short Blades. It's a little shorter than most of what I found, but seeing as this was my first attempt at making a sword style blade, I figured that would be good.

It is forged from 3/16" thick 1095. The spacer for the guard was made from Brass. The guard is forged 1018 steel and the handle material is locally harvested American Hornbeam (Ironwood) with a Laurel Spacer. The pommel is also forged from 1018 with a brass end cap and a riveted tang. The blade length is 9 1/2", the handle area is just over 4" and the overall length is 14 1/4". It is a full height convex "grind" with a stone finish.

I will just need to bring it to the local Scabbard maker (Yes there actually is one) to have a wooden scabbard made.

Thanks for looking,
Matthew M Paul

Image00010-1.jpg

Image00012-1.jpg

Image00011-1.jpg

Image00013-1.jpg

Image00014-1.jpg

Nice looking blade. Seems like it could take some punishment. I like the brass guard spacer with the filework. Your fit and finish look really good. I think that leaving the texture from forging the guard and the pommel end was a good choice. Cleaning that up wouldn't have looked as interesting.

Someone in this area is an actual Scabbard maker? That is really fascinating and surprising!

Robert

Awesome! great work, I like the finish of it all. One itsy critique from me would be that the brass end cap looks much "cleaner" than the rest(could just be the pictures) I like the roughness of the rest of it, that being said, you did better than I could so don't take my suggestion to strongly.

• 2 months later...