I Forge Iron

Portable Blacksmith Forge, Military circa WW I

SteveC

The Berkshire Blacksmiths put on another great Age of Iron weekend at Hancock Shaker Village, Mass. recently and one of the highlights for me was the military issue Portable Blacksmith Forge, circa WW I. I would love to get my hands on one of these, so if you have one or know someone who does then I would like to hear from you. I did find one on Ebay, but the shipping from CA could make it cost prohibitive. I've just started looking, so I don't know how common they are in the New England area.

Portable Blacksmith Forge.wmv

post-14430-0-39469500-1344687271_thumb.j

That is a US Cavalry portable forge.Some were used as late as WWll in Burma Campaign. They had a delightful little anvil that fit in the box along with legs and blower,but I have only see ONE in all my years of drifting around the WEST. I used one horseshoeing for 25 years. They show up for sale on the West Coast for around $100 to $150 dollars. Even though they are interesting historically,I rebuilt and redesigned the grate in mine several times. That seems like a ridiculously high price.
I found one for a friend a couple of years back for $100. He would probably sell it for that. Don't know what freight would be to your world from Oregon..

Jeremy,
no argument that fabrication would be much less, but I'm interested in the historical aspect as well as the portability.

Eric,
thanks for the information. My follow-up research turned up a field manual from a prior IForgeIron forum post.

and there were ads from people in Australia selling what they described as WWII era portable forges, so that location makes sense too.

If you have access to one of these in complete and functional working order then I would be interested. Let me know.

Thanks again,
Steve C.

... no argument that fabrication would be much less, but I'm interested in the historical aspect as well as the portability........Thanks again, Steve C.

Is there any particular era of blacksmithing history that you are interested in?

Are you planning on participating in WWII or WWI living history events?

David,
no I am not participating in any re-enactments. I just like the idea of keeping tools alive. The forges I currently use are new fabrications, but nearly everything else has been handed down from older smiths, tail gate swaps and/or rescued from scrap heeps and dirt malls.

Thomas,
seems that these forges are much more prevelant out west. They are so very rare out East, but a friend in Nova Scotia says they are pretty common up there (just nobody wants to part with one). I wouldn't expect to find one complete with anvil tools, but I am hoping to find an undamaged box w/lid, (4) sound legs, tuyere and hand crank blower.

Thanks,
Steve C.

That was Ohio USA, not very west; but home to a company that was a big WWII surplus vendor. They also had a MASSIVE New Old Stock buffalo "RR Forge" with the original down draft hood, coal and water holders, etc that I told a smith about. He ended up buying in for $1200 IIRC and had it moved to Louisiana

Another Cavalry Forge story. Any of you old enough to remember the "bomb shelter" craze of the early sixties? I bought my cavalry forge from a surplus dealer in Southern California who was selling the blowers to folks to pump air into their underground bomb shelters.Pretty bizarre..

• 3 years later...
On 8/13/2012, 1:15:48, SteveC said:

David,
no I am not participating in any re-enactments. I just like the idea of keeping tools alive. The forges I currently use are new fabrications, but nearly everything else has been handed down from older smiths, tail gate swaps and/or rescued from scrap heeps and dirt malls.

Thomas,
seems that these forges are much more prevelant out west. They are so very rare out East, but a friend in Nova Scotia says they are pretty common up there (just nobody wants to part with one). I wouldn't expect to find one complete with anvil tools, but I am hoping to find an undamaged box w/lid, (4) sound legs, tuyere and hand crank blower.

Thanks,
Steve C.

I am seaking information and pictures of a portable forge dating 1946 made in US by naudain. Its made of aluminum missing the anvil and some tools. I can't find any info or pictures any help is appreciated thank you