I Forge Iron

The not so tiny "Tiney Tim" DIY

I purchased a pair of fork tines locally for the sum of $75.... Class III 4x1.75x60", by the weight of them, they're a good +150lbs. each guesstimation considering I'm not pot bellied slouch of a man, and they gave me trouble...

photo3.jpg

I'm going to laminate the tines into a two horned nimba' esque' anvil, of which, I will give a ridiculously stupid name... peanut, bam-bam, bubbles,etc... That way I can giggle when it's referenced in future diy undertakings...

Laminated vertically for optimum awesomeness! Harfaced, twin horned. Hardy, Pritchel..... I'll upload the sketches in a few hours, I need to be cutting... that way the forum can't talk me out of doing something retarded...

Gee whizz that picture sucks... never mind though, won't be forks for long...

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ScannedImage.jpg

^... Sketch up

Dimensions;

Height: 12"
Width: 5 1/4"
Face Length: 12"
Horns: TBD...

Might get mysel another pair of forks to add to the mix, just for the heXX of it.... eventual goal will jive in the same fashion as "the guru's Anvil of Creation", because of his inspirational drawings and how to...

Lots of welding, little MIGs not going to cut it... Looking into that new stick/mig/tig northern tool hybrid... Should be sufficient...

but for now.... Sigh.... More cutting.... Might kill a grinder... or two....

ha ha... photobucket has decided to show you my concept drawing doing a pirouette.... Don't fret, I do not plan on working hot metal in this fashion....

Got rough general dimensions? The width of a typical fork tine is pretty nice for an anvil face.

Phil

the forks are 4x1.75... X 60"... with a 20" or so taper... All of those rectangular like pieces are cut sections of fork laminated together... The center section (including horns) of the anvil, as pictured above, is the only horizontal piece of fork, diagonally slash cut at the ends to make horns...

So in this case, the face of the anvil, not including horns, will be 12"x 5.25"... Not a bad surface area for pounding...

Nope just a fan of Dr Doolittle; my daughter starts Vet school next week!

That's awesome man, I'd hate to stare that tuition in the face though... Betchya it's a meaner than my wife's scowl...

Nice design; a *lot* of work and welding! (especially with all the preheat needed!)

I was thinking you were going to chop the forks and weld them up back to back with the chopped ends ground into the horn shapes---more of a medieval stake anvil form.

The two forks back to back will give a good sized sweet spot.

As for tuition; well she did 5 years of college never owing a penny or asking us for money. There is quite a lot of possibilities for funding once you get into a program like that---she was accepted by every Vet school she applied to!

I encouraged her to think about being a vet for the CIA; whenever there are suspicious animal deaths they send in a squad to determine if it's possibly a result of biological or chemical warfare work...

Nice design; a *lot* of work and welding! (especially with all the preheat needed!)

I was thinking you were going to chop the forks and weld them up back to back with the chopped ends ground into the horn shapes---more of a medieval stake anvil form.

The two forks back to back will give a good sized sweet spot.

As for tuition; well she did 5 years of college never owing a penny or asking us for money. There is quite a lot of possibilities for funding once you get into a program like that---she was accepted by every Vet school she applied to!

I encouraged her to think about being a vet for the CIA; whenever there are suspicious animal deaths they send in a squad to determine if it's possibly a result of biological or chemical warfare work...

There's definitely a lot of work ahead of me, but I really enjoy the process of fabrication... It's my zen, my sweaty heaven... Thank goodness I had a friend offer me a horizontal band saw today... I did all but 2 cuts, in half the time it took me to make one cut with a grinder.... Now, it's time to go out and purchase myself a welder that's gonna do the job. I've been seriously considering that northern tool hybrid (mig/spool gun/ stick/ tig) inverter welder for $599... My little 135 aint gonna cut it on this project... Might spring for a used ac/dc tombstone for a cheaper option...

I actually know an veteranarian, through my father-in-law, that trained dolphins in underwater explosives/ordinance, he got picked up by the CIA for a few years, now he's working with seaworld rehabilitating and observing that orca that killed that woman a few years back... Interesting life, no doubt...

The ac/dc tombstone is probably the ticket for this project. Get something that can run a heavy rod, 100% duty cycle, you will get tired of pushing 1/8 inch rod so see if you can get and run much thicker. Rod can also be used deep in a crevasse while no other process can get down there.

Preheat is easy. Make sure the wife is away (or fully, 100%, for real, on board) and stick the clean pieces in the oven to bake for an hour or three at 400F or so. No need to bake all the pieces at the same time, start with 3, put 1 in when you pull 1.

Phil

The ac/dc tombstone is probably the ticket for this project. Get something that can run a heavy rod, 100% duty cycle, you will get tired of pushing 1/8 inch rod so see if you can get and run much thicker. Rod can also be used deep in a crevasse while no other process can get down there.

Preheat is easy. Make sure the wife is away (or fully, 100%, for real, on board) and stick the clean pieces in the oven to bake for an hour or three at 400F or so. No need to bake all the pieces at the same time, start with 3, put 1 in when you pull 1.

Phil

I'm kinda torn between the two choices here. I'd love the convenience of not having to push 1/8" rods, but I'm also desiring something a little more ornamentally diverse that big bad mamma rod jamma... It would be an easy decision if... spool gun... wasn't... included.... lift tig.... errrr.... See I'm into bikes as well, so stick, while effective, doesn't have the "fineness" I'd desire after this anvil is done....

4140 flavored pizza.... Scrumtulescent!!!

I'm suggesting a used heavy duty welder over a CHEAP multi function one. A tombstone will serve you for a long long time and if you want pretty it'll offer the practice needed to do pretty with stick. You can turn them down you know. AND have you considered how you're going to get a gun between those sections of steel for decent penetration? Heck, if I wanted or didn't mind 1 1/4" welds I could use my Lincore 25 wire feed and fill the gap in single passes. You gotta love having a 275amp 100% duty cycle portable welder and would you believe I can turn it down to less than 20amps? That's right just set the voltage and amperage, hook it up and charge your car battery or give it a jump.

Commercial equipment is sweet stuff.

Frosty The Lucky.

A Lot of good points have been made... Tombstone ac/dc seems to be the ticket...

One final cut, and we're on to grinding and mock up...

Oh, and I was able to get the exact specs on the fork steel composition by looking up the manufacturer, make, model... 40cr ~ 5140 steel... Anyone know any tips and tricks regarding this steel? I've had 4140 on the brain... 5140 is a monkeywrench messing up my day...

mad idea PPP, i like the more insane plans on here - it certainly looks like a lot of Work of a certain Type, but im So gladdened to hear this is infact your zen - relieved that a) youve found it and B) you are indulging in it :) nice one ! your photo does suck, all i can see is a patch of grass and a plastic carrier bag.. despite this i have every faith that Peanut will be a groovy useable anvil. :)

Medium carbon steel: preheat let cool slowly. I'll try to look in the big manual tonight to see if they suggest any special techniques.

Thank you very much Mr. Powers, I'm the "do it the right way..." type of personality, and anything in regards to specs on weldability, hardening, annealing, etc. will be of great value to me...

Annealed @ 1526°F

Normalized @ 1598°F

oil quenched, fine grained, tempered at 401°F for Rc 50-51

This seems to be the right info, but what welding rods to use? I know it might be a stretch of imagination, but the nipping question in my mind is how to not jeopardize the integrity of the anvil face where all the laminated plates meet...

Options are
1)HardFacing (the steel itself is already hard) so Redundant Option? (wouldn't this kinda nix the HT/tempering for the face?)
2) trying my best to keep the gap tolerances to a min> HT/temp
3)beveling gaps and welding them together as an entire solid face with the right rod, then HT/tempering...

might be over thinking all this....

One of the sites I read suggested a rod that should end up with the filler being about the same alloy as the parent metal. Sounded expensive. I'd use regular rod for construction phase and go back and bevel and reweld the joints on the face if they showed signs of telegraphing.

have a read through this
http://www.iforgeiro...ic/16214-signs/

Phil

You know I read that a couple of times before, not truly understanding what the heck he was talking about.... lol, 4th time I FINALLY GOT IT!!!

This seems like a very promising option Phil

Question is what kinda top plate would be best? S7? H13... Air cooled...