I Forge Iron

The not so tiny "Tiney Tim" DIY

There are a lot of home built power hammers that have anvils made out of edge welded stacks of plates, both oriented vertically and horizontally. Edge welding can't be that bad as long as the weld is adequate in dimension. Power hammer dies are also dovetailed in, machined to carefully fit a slot then held in by the friction of a wedge key and the geometry of the parts. Again this is holding by the edge and well supported from behind, so it has to be a reasonable approach.

I have no doubt that solid is better, but I don't know how to qualify or even measure the difference.

Phil

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Updates?

The school I teach at just purchased a new forklift to replace the 1964 model caterpillar that was long since worn slap out. I was trying to get it purely for the iron counterweight and forks - but we are a state entity and things just can't get scrapped that way. I then tried for just the forks and still failed. So, instead I think the school is paying to ge rid of it! Doh!

• 4 weeks later...

Updates?

Some things went sour financially, and this is still in an unfinished state. Luckily it hasn't run away, even though I curse at it and call it rude names...

Still trying to source a fork locally, now that I have finally built up a budget of sorts. Should be done with it here in the next month or so, pending I a window of time to disappear into the barn for a couple of hours...