I Forge Iron

I want to buy a post drill. I live near South Fort Worth. I would like to drive and look at it but I dont want to drive to wisconsin where it seems all of them are for sale at. haha. I want one that is two speed. I dont want to pay a ridiculous price. Where can I find one? Any suggestions? I can't find one on Ebay or Craigslist that meets my afore mentioned requirements. Help.

Patience. Get your name and contact info with your regional farm and ranch auctioneers. They will have sale bills sent to you, USPS or online, with listings of what is up for bid. Another route is to put a 'wanted' ad in the paper.

The post drills that I've seen were self feeding and had a pawl and ratchet wheel at the top which as I recall, you could fine-tune to get the pawl to jump one or two teeth.

By post drill do you mean the hand cranked-bolts onto a timber type? Like Frank I've only seen the adjustable feed type, a set screw of sorts limits the throw of the pawl, speed is according to how fast you crank. Some do allow for adjusting the length of the hand crank, kind of adjusting the speed at the expense of torque.

If you can't find what you want, something's got to give. Which of your criteria is least important to you?

• 2 weeks later...

That Wisconsin comment is a hoot, I'm in Wisconsin and just picked up 2 at 2 different auctions, one a #1 Acne that has a top ratching dog and a smaller Buffalo Forge co. with a under the wheel ratching dog, Both are great after a little TLC. These are not works of art, most everything is cast even the gear teeth(gears) are cast. You will be real lucky if you find one with the original chuck, mine were missing their chucks. Good luck,