I Forge Iron

What height do you like your gas forge?

Black Frog

I picked up a nice 1" thick top 24x24 welding table on heavy metal casters for a deal on CL. Very heavy, with 1/4" thick 4" angle iron legs, two guys had a hard time loading it my truck.

I thought I could mount a platform off the side of this table for a forge to mount/bolt to.
Then I could move it fairly easily when needed, and also have a nice 1" thick steel 'workbench' next to the forge at all times.

I'm quite new to this- first gas forge, and wondering how high most people seem to like their gas forges. With the smaller port openings of the forge I'm guessing around the 48"-54" off the floor. I suppose I could make the mount adjustable to find the sweet spot I like...

WHAT KIND OF WORK WILL YOU BE DOING? Heavy work---set it at the height of your anvil or other tools. Light finicky work set it higher so it's easier to keep track of the piece---however I prefer not to set it so high that it's at eye level as we want to minimize the time spent peering into it unless you *ALWAYS* wear appropriate shielding glasses.

I get a complete eye exam every year and my Dr reported last time that I have the faint start of cataracts---which he said is spot on for my age and living in NM. However most of my life I have not lived in NM; but have been forging. (The good news is no sign of Diabetic eye complications!)

I like low enough that you have to make an effort to look in, but not much effort. About 40 inches is where my forge ends up on the table made from a frame to a trash compactor.

I am doing small stuff, typically 1/2 inch stock, 1/4x1, and such. I find this is a nice height if I am doing bigger stock because I am at a natural grabbing height with the tongs.

Phil

Mine is a little over waist height on the far side of the anvil.

Interesting- I hadn't thought of placement in relation to the anvil for a gas forge.
On my little rivet forge I had it setup like I've seen in the books, forge on the left and anvil around 90 degrees to it.

WHAT KIND OF WORK WILL YOU BE DOING? Heavy work---set it at the height of your anvil or other tools. Light finicky work set it higher so it's easier to keep track of the piece---however I prefer not to set it so high that it's at eye level as we want to minimize the time spent peering into it unless you *ALWAYS* wear appropriate shielding glasses.

I dunno what kind of work I'll be doing as of yet. Being a newb I'm just getting started so I'm not sure where this winding road will take me.
Right now I see myself doing trellis work, maybe attempting a chandelier for Christmas.

my gasser is on a cart made from a gas grill, pulled the grill out and put a steel plate across the gap where it was. so it moves about the shop to be near the tools needed. (or I might change the orientation so that the dragon's breath is *down wind* of the working area. I like LOTS of ventilation when using a gasser!

Try different heights to see what suits you best for whatever you are doing. I make the height of my smaller propane forges adjustable, using a pipe-in-a-pipe slide with holes drilled for stops. I use a round base myself, so the forge is easily moved. You could fasten a pipe (with holes drilled in it) to the side of your table and accomplish the same.

post-585-0-46022800-1342439565_thumb.jpg

Out here they use square tubing with regular holes drilled in it for traffic signs and so they show up at the scrapyard on a regular basis. Even better they use different sized tubing depending on size and importance of the sign so you can find nesting sections where the holes allow easy height adjustment. You do have to be careful of any welding as they are hot dipped galvanized but they are sure easy to bolt to together.

Here's the table I bought for this. 1" thick plate welded to the top, the top plate does not quite cover the entire table. The full table dimensions are 24"x24"
Quite substantial for its size....

Thought I'd mount the forge off the side where the pipe vise is now.
The cast iron casters roll nicely in spite of the weight on them. I thought by mounting my gas forge to the side of this table, it would allow me to roll it out of the way when not in use. It would also give me a 'table' next to the forge at all times that can handle red-hot pieces.

This seem like a good idea?

post-25745-0-57183000-1342479674_thumb.j

I think I would use a much thinner top on the mobile table, and mount that 1 inch plate somewhere you can pound on, or weld, or otherwise abuse it if needed.

Funny you mention that.... I gotta stay off CL.
I came across a table I couldn't resist last week.

5'x3' table with 1" thick plate top in beautiful shape @ around 1000lbs.

$190.

Seller will deliver it for an extra $20.

how do you say no to that?

.....So yes, I actually DO have something else to bang on besides the anvil and my little mobile roller table pictured. ;)

Having a *safe* place to lay hot metal near the forge is a good idea!

OTOH I have a soapstone slab---an old laboratory benchtop that sits on a workbench near the forge that I can put hot metal on and not worry as much about contact quenching in cold weather. An array of fire brick can be handy that way too.

(and I envy you that 5x3 table as well)

Table was delivered last night- it was loaded in a van plate side down and legs in the air.
He brought along his dismantled engine/shop crane. Once we put the crane together, we put some chains through the leg supports, put the boom arm going in the van and lifted it 6" or so.

Drove the van forward and then let the table down with one side on a stump.
Problem was with that much weight in the top plate, it was a chore trying to get this flipped upright.
Took some different approaches with combiantions of the crane, my floor jack, jack stands, wood blocks, but we finally got her upright. :)
You can see the scrape marks on the cement just from moving it a bit... she is a heavy girl!

I'm a happy with my purchase!

post-25745-0-21203500-1342802888_thumb.j

Wow, nice table. Love that trough around the edge. No offense to the effort to move it, but that's a nice light design, relatively!. Every metal table I see for sale is made all out of inch thick plate, flame cut, welded together and needing a BIG forklift to move.

Pick a nice spot for it.

Now that it's upright, I can move it relatively easily.
I have a set of equipment skates, and I use a Jo-bar to put the skates under each foot on one end, and then use the jo-bar on the other and for pushing and steering.

My biggest problem now is lack of room.....
I need to move.