I Forge Iron

Help on this anvil?

This anvil is being offered to me for $150. Guy says he can't see and markings anywhere. And compares the weight to a big bag of cement. I know that's not much info at all but Im looking for my first anvil and this could be the one. Gotta drive an hour for us to meet halfway so thought I could try and get a little info first. Thanks.

post-26244-0-79539800-1342010998_thumb.j

post-26244-0-28371200-1342011076_thumb.j

post-26244-0-60113800-1342011116_thumb.j

Mid 1800's English anvil, heavy waist and well supported horn form the wrought iron body, and high carbon steel face plate. What that means is that it will perform like a much bigger farrier pattern anvil.

Looks to be in pretty good shape from the blurry pics, I say go for it at that price.

Yea, jump on that deal. The face and horn look to be in excellent condition. In the 80-120 pound range, and that's a great size for a starting smith. Just fasten it securely to a heavy stand, bedded in caulk, and you'll have one heck of a performer.

Well getting the anvil got postponed until Sunday. Guy had to go out of town til then but I am getting it. Can't wait to get her in my hands!!! I will post better pics Sunday night. Thanks for the help and info to all who replied.

Every night is going to feel like Christmas Eve when I was a kid until then. Aaaaahh!!!

Justin, hope you got it! Looks like a good anvil. I uploaded these pics last night from my phone but couldn't tell much then. too late to check "THE BOOK". Check my AIA and found "American Star" on page 197 that looks VERY simular to this anvil. of course as mentioned a clearer picture would help. Also, if you can get a pic of the anvil with the bick/horn to you right (opposite side of these pics) you should be able to see a star about the middle of the waist. Keep us up to date!