I Forge Iron

Hi, i would like to know if there is any way possible yo make a cut off hardy tool for my anvil. The only good steel that i have that i can use is a coil spring. I have trid to un coil it but i cant find a way to do it. What are you all's experience with coil spring cut offs. thanks

Heat and beat to uncoil in section. Cut off before with an abrasive wheel or after with what you have (chisel or abrasive wheel) You need material a little larger than the hardy hole to make a hardy, for a 1 inch hardy 1 1/8 or 1 1/4 is a good choice(round or square works). This is near or somewhat above the limit that can "easily" be worked by a one handed hammer, depending on the person. Don't overwork yourself.

Here's a good video by Mark Aspery, although he is not making a cutoff.

[media=]

When upsetting for a cutoff, upsetting past what you need makes more work to draw it out again. Making a blunt taper to control "fish lips" helps. remake the blunt taper as needed. This is above the size most people can work easily, but it can be done.

Phil

I took the broken off end of a pavement breaker and forged the broken end down to fit the hardy hole. Living in America we are surrounds by tons of good steels to use, often free. Why do you restrict yourself?

Unless your coil spring is very large indeed You will probably want to double over the end to make it fit the hardy hole better and you may want to put a 90 deg bend in it so that the cutting edge is directly over the face of the anvil---offset from the hardy hole.

I generally suggest cutting coil springs with an angle grinder or gas axe into convenient pieces but if you have a long enough cold chisel (or even a pavement breaker...) you can heat one small section of the coil and insert the chisel and using a cutting plate to protect your anvil cut the hot section.

There is a nice design using leafspring that can be done with only grinding---though hot cutting and grinding would be better. You might find a block chisel that can be sleeved with a small bit of sq tubing to fit your hardy. A chunk of car axle, RR clip, digger bar, jackhammer bits, lots of at least medium carbon steel out there!

Big Lake - You in the AL Forge Council? You can take an old jack hammer head as well and make a cut off tool. Go to your local tools rental place to see if they have any old ones. You may also want to go out to the Pink Store (a local place like HF) and see what you can round up there.

I made mine out of an old iron log spliting wedge. Just cut it off to the length I wanted then used an angle grinder with cutting wheel to cut away what didnt fit into my hardy hole.

same here , but i cut it big them heat it and hammer it in the hole so it fit 100%

I once made one out of a large bolt I picked up at the hardware store. The bolt was just small enough to fit into the hardy hole, so I spun a nut on it to form a shoulder. The head of the bolt got hammered down to form the cutting edge.

Worked great and it was super easy. The only downside is that it liked to spin in the hole.