I Forge Iron

Fulton vise?

Bret888

Does anyone have a Fulton vise? I tried a search of the forums and came up empty. I got this one yesterday at a flea market for $40. It is a 5" that weighs #70 marked Fulton Machine & Vise Lowville NY.
I also took a picture of my old abused Reeds. The 5" has the back end of the box broken off, I am guessing from using it as an anvil. It works fine out to about 8", and cost $20. I also picked up a 3" Reed yesterday. It has the tongue(is there a proper name for this?) under the moving jaw broken off, and a piece chipped out of the back. It works as is, but jaw alighnment is off a little, so i will weld in new pieces someday. I am guessing it had some sledging done toward the moving jaw one time too many.

P7100069.jpg
P7100070.jpg

• 3 years later...

I have a vice that looks very much like that one. All I know is that's its very heavy. I bought it from an old guy that had it laying in the weeds for $50. It was froze up so I had to pound the thing apart and clean it up. It cracked it a little bit but it still works very well. I had to cut out the old jaws and make new ones. It sits outside all the time but is very handy. Mine has 6" jaws. Its very old and I did look up on line for any information about it and came up empty as well. 

• 1 year later...

My father brought these to me last week. I haven't found a place to mount them yet, and i dont know anything about them. The small fulton 5190 has a 3" jaw and what looks to be an anvil on the rear. The reed 404r has a 4 1/8" jaw. Both are quite heavy. I'm looking forward to using these after I find out the best way and place to mount them.

The "anvils" on vises are NOT ANVILS. They are often fairly thin cast iron and doing in heavy hammering on them is a great way to turn an expensive vise into scrap iron.  A good chunk of steel from the scrapyard is a much better (and cheaper) anvil.  Save the vise(s) for what *they* excell at!

• 1 year later...
On 7/9/2012 at 10:19 AM, Bret888 said:

Does anyone have a Fulton vise?

hi bret. fulton vise were made in Lowville ny which is about where we live .it is a very small farming community in lewis county ny .hard to think there was a vise manufacturer there .fulton is a good sized town about 40 miles from Lowville .prentice vises were made right here too in watertown ny 20 miles from Lowville.  

doug

Edited by Mod30
excessive quoting