I Forge Iron

Fairbanks 125lber I dragged home

I found this in a field near the river, this old man had been collecting stuff his entire life and had about every metal object you could imagine at one point... at least one of everything

Anyways I bought it figuring it needed a rebuild it looked like it had been rebuilt by this fellow and he didnt know much about blacksmithing
the hammer had the wrong drive ratio and the speed was maybe 170 hits a minute and he added some weight to the tup about 10-20 lbs
it was also underpowered with a 3 hp motor.

the dies were carved into on the bottom and 2 half ball bearings welded to the upper die he must have used it for some single purpose what that was I have no idea.

anyways I figured it was seized up but after putting a liter of acetone and power steering fluid 50/50 and releasing the brake it all functions well even the brake is amazing strong and neither the brake or the guides really have any signs of wear, it probley lead a easy life or wasnt used much.

I was going to repaint it and rebuild it but if it works why mess with it... paint or no paint does the same job.

my plan is to get a 4 inch flat belt pulley put it directly on my 1160rpm, 5 hp motor and run it on the main pulley 19 inch puts me at about the right rpm and removes some other un-needed parts.

None the less my questions are...

1. Will running a small pulley on the motor work effectively with the belt clutch system? the other pulley is about 10 inches which would run the hammer too quick by about double the speed.
this other fellow had had the hammer with a double reduction which ended up making it run too slow I already have a spare 1160 rpm motor and the small motor pulley will give me the correct ratio but will it have enough friction on the motor to run properly?

2. Does anyone make flat belt pulleys?

3.Does anyone currently know of a source that makes dies for these hammers? I just want flats for now but getting them made could prove to be a hassle.

post-3202-0-67732000-1341015444_thumb.jp

post-3202-0-03477600-1341015467_thumb.jp

Congrats on a good score. Place in Tennessee called Paper Pulleys makes all sort of flat pulleys. Here is a link: http://www.paperpulleys.com/pages/home.html
r smith
PS I hope you know to have the "clutch" pulley on the slack side of the belt, NOT the driven side.

I have an old 4" diam x 4 1/4" long flat belt pulley bored for a 3/4 " hole . It was used to drive my first hammer a 25 lb moluch. Worked for that hammer but yours is in a different weight league. It is currently mounted on a small countershaft assembly which allowed using a fractional HP motor with a smaller shaft. Would a four inch pulley work for you ?

Good score Bryce. Is that the one that's been on Craigslist in Mission for the last couple of months?

Yup it was a great deal the price the guy was asking

Great looking hammer Bryce, but where you gonna hang your tools now :P Consider a VFD, you would be able to mount the motor and pulley you have. I would also move the idler pulley closer to the motor.

lol yeah i painted the tools and made something else to put them on,

I am going to change the whole setup on it i think, it will take up too much space if i dont, the way it is now it takes up twice as much space as it needs to

Interesting clutch/brake set-up on this Fairbanks hammer. Usually the drive belt is around the center pulley. Makes one wonder about the controllability of the clutch and brake. Another hammer I will be looking forward to seeing up and running!!

I think the hammers that happen to have the external pulley on the rear of the hammer had an electric motor from the factory. The orginal motor mount is gone though. The linkages are all added and the brake lever is different. I am not sure how well it will work in its current configuration.

I think the hammers that happen to have the external pulley on the rear of the hammer had an electric motor from the factory. The orginal motor mount is gone though. The linkages are all added and the brake lever is different. I am not sure how well it will work in its current configuration.

Giving it a try in this configuration might be worth the effort just to see it run and help with the decision of how to approach the remounting and new drive configuration. BTW the more I look at this machine in it's current configuration, the more it looks like some one had it set up to run on this special pallet as mounted ! Maybe to be used occasionally for light work. If so it might have been fun to see it dance when used. :)

Bryce
If you look at the eccentric on the drive wheel you'll see that someone has added a plate and bolted it in a fixed position.It's not anything that can't be fixed but thought I'd point it out. Also looks as if the set screws that hold the sleeve bearings from rotating have been removed,you might want to check that also.