I Forge Iron

Books geared towards teaching

Words

I've recently checked out a couple of books on blacksmithing, The Art of Blacksmithing by Alex Bealer and The Practical Blacksmith (well some of this one, it seemed similar to Bealer's book). Now I'm looking books that is more geared more towards teaching skills and some basic projects that I could tackle, especially toolmaking as I have no blacksmithing tools. I'd love to buy all these books used but with limited supply of money, I'll have to limit myself to around 2 books as they seem to cost around $20 each.

Some books that I saw that were very popular were The New Edge of the Anvil (better than The Edge of the Anvil?) by Jack Andrews, Backyard Blacksmith by Lorelei Sims, The Complete Modern Blacksmith by Alexander Weygers, and A Blacksmithing Primer by Randy McDaniel. Of these and other books you love, which 1 or 2 would be a solid book to be my personal teacher, with less on history but more on the work. Thank you for any advice!

If you check Amazon.com for the books, they are usually very inexpensive for good used books. I have gotten several from there and have been very pleased with the condition of them. Another really good book for learning is Mark Aspery's volume 1 called Mastering the Fundamentals of Blacksmithing, although it isn't as inexpensive as some of the others. But I believe it is well worth it. Also, Lorelei's book, DIY Backyard Blacksmithing is a good basic one, at less cost. :)

If I was looking for 1 book to learn from I'd get "Plain and Ornamental Forging" by Schwarzkopf. It was written for as a school text book. The next on my list would be "A Blacksmithing Primer" by Randy McDaniel.
I haven't laid hands on any of Aspery's books yet so I can't comment on them but I hear they are suppose to be good.

ron

There is a section on most all the books available with reviews and comments from a lot of members. http://www.iforgeiron.com/forum/40-book-reviews/ A few of the books are marked "HOT" (for whatever reason). I have Mark Aspery's book as well as Lorelei's and like them both. Mark goes into a LOT of detail, formulas for take-offs, and etc. Lorelei's book is easier for those with no experience and easier to understand for the beginner/novice and there is a section on different projects starting out simple and gradually getting a little more difficult. Both would be good in your library.

I'd have to say Lorelei Sims' The Backyard Blacksmith is a very good start for a beginner. Randy McDaniel's A Blacksmithing primer was used in the introductory course I took at New England School of Metalwork and it was a good resource. I am sure that Mark Aspery's books are also very good although I haven't read them yet. It's good also to buy more advanced books and challenge yourself.

Yes thanks for all of your inputs. I got the Weygers and Sims books, 20 bucks for both. I'm excited for some good tips on scrap finding, resourcefulness and tool making.

Is there anybody around in the east Atlanta area? I just joined so I didn't have my location profiled.

The Alex Bealer Blacksmith Association of Georgia (www.alexbealer.org) is in and around the Atlanta area. They meet the 3rd weekend of each month at a different shop each month. Sometimes closer to you sometimes a little further away. Join and then you have library privledges and can check out books. They have an extensive library. I will see you at the August meeting. The third weekend in May will be the SBA conference in Madison, Georgia. It is only about 30 miles from you to there and I'll plan to visit with you there.

Let me know if I can help you otherwise.