I Forge Iron

anvil topping

Has any one tried to put a hard steel layer onto a iron anvil, like the one at grizzly, i mean just take a good arch welder from like home depot, and weld a half inch of good steel to it, and then also around the noze. Once it starts to come of just re-do the surfice and lay a nother one on it, or would it not work.

just asking, and trying to fined a loop around from having to buy a new one, or watch for a old one.

http://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/6657-lets-do-something-about-that-hf-aso/

however this would be a lot easier

http://www.speedymetals.com/ps-1168-121-3-4140-hot-rolled-as-rolled-plate.aspx

122# of 3 inch 12x12 piece of plate (I don't know what shipping is) just build a tripod for it standing on edge and flame harden the top face.

No ASO about it, it will be an anvil to be proud of!

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

I'm actually plotting to pull off something like Brian's striking anvil, but with a 1/2" 1045 face forge welded to it. I have a few ideas which should make the job significantly less difficult than usual. Not that heating a mass of steel that large to welding heat is trivial or anything, but if it works out, I might just be onto something. Honestly, I think the biggest trick is gonna be to get the local FD to open a hydrant hose on the bugger to quench it. I'll post it all here when I give it a go. Thinking about a small scale test or 3 (around 15#) looking for proof of concept before I move to the big scale.

Jason were you at the Quad-State where they forge welded a new face on an old anvil? You may want to run your plans by some of the SOFA folks involved with that to get some advice from people who succeeded at it.

I was one of the anvil handlers. As I remember one of the biggest problems we had getting the weld to take was the celebrity strikers hitting too hard and the two pieces sliding apart.

We used coke and afterwards the firepot was shot (was a brand new Zoeller before hand). I imagine not being before an audience and being able to take your time you might not have to ruin a fire pot.

When you have something that size at that greasy looking lemon heat- it's @#$% HOT, and until you have the scale land on your boots, you really can't imagine what it's like. :)

Here's a Youtube link-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8G-hXW31bsw

Where I work I have to yearly hard surface hammers for rock crushing. These puppies crush millions of tons of limestone and steel. I pre-heat the hammers to about 250 degrees and weld away. Luckly I have to cut them out also so I see the results of my work no chips just wear. They start out 154 lbs and end up 130 lbs . Works great . Rods should be available at welding stores. I do the same for my cultivator teeth and plow shares.