I Forge Iron

Wally Yater Swage Blocks

Fatfudd

Does anyone have the background on Wally Yater swage blocks and on Wally himself? Seems like he is/was an important part of blacksmithing history? What were the blocks made from? I've heard that they were made from cut up wrecking balls. How long did he make them? How many did he make? It would be nice to get this info in one place.
Thanks Dave

Thanks Bigred-
I had likewise seen that article about Wally's blocks in Link removed at the request of Anvilfire. I have a set myself and think they are a work of art by themselves. It appears that Centaur may have acquired the pattern thru John Elliot. Someone knows and maybe we'll find out. I don't have a facebook account so I guess I'll have to wait to find out more unless someone has Wally's email and can give it to me so I can ask him?

I did Thomas, they were sold by a fine gentleman down in Magdalena NM who is trying to finish a large house/shop project. I have been looking for a decent swage block now for quite some time and these had the depressions and edges I wanted/needed. NM has very few opportunities for either decent anvils or swage blocks, The blocks are in good shape for the most part, unfortunately water had been allowed to stand in some depressions and they were in need of some clean up. I also purchased his Hay Budden anvil 126# made in 1908. I already have a very nice earlier dated 250# Hay Budden.

So they went right by me on their way to you---I can see I25 from my house. I had suggest the fellow selling them put them up on the SWABA page as I wanted them to stay in NM because we have such a drought of smithing stuff! Great that you got them.

I can't tell you how much I appreciate your suggestion to him, I owe you at least one or two of your favorite beverages! I was on the list for a Salt Fork block when they come in and
I had even been considering driving to MO or the midwest for swage blocks. Having recently sold my smaller anvil(to pay some bills for other toys) I had severe buyers remorse
so this purchase took care of everything. I look froward to meeting up with you.

I have a Wally Yater floor cone, the design and finish are outstanding. If anyone else has a chance to pick up one of his tools, do it and xxxx the price, the quality will pay you back. Shame to hear that Centaur seems to have stepped on his toes in the production of their blocks, now I feel bad for having purchased one from Centaur years ago. The finish on it was nowhere near the level of my cone, I spent many an hour filing and grinding to clean up the roughness of the casting.

Here's some pics of the Wally Yater blocks I just picked up. This is after I have used a slow speed polisher with a wire brush and some navel jelly.
I have also been able to use the bowl shapes several times so you can see how nice the finish on these blocks were.

post-25611-0-18361400-1338086939_thumb.j

post-25611-0-03447600-1338086950_thumb.j

post-25611-0-88604800-1338086970_thumb.j

Nice set of blocks, there is no beating the real deal. I overheard Jere Kirtpatric talking to Ed Brazeal about his set of blocks. He was telling Ed that he should have brought them to the Octoberfest to sell them. I asked Jere how much he wanted for them and he priced them near cost of a new set from Centraur. A bargain in my opinion, and he met me half way with delivery.
I think the Centraur blocks are cast iron

..Ive seen several sets of yater blocks sell on ebay for around a a grand in the last couple of years..When Matchless sells something like that it seems to go for about double the norm..His excellent customer service and willingness to crate and ship anything gets him super premium prices..Ive tried many times fo the years to win some of the stuff he sells but never have..Hes a great guy and sells great stuff but collectors fight over his stuff which makles it hard for many to compete in his auctions..great for him, bad for me :D