I Forge Iron

Hello all,

I am wanting to start forging simple grill tools.

My question is, since obviously they are going to be used on food, is there a certain type of metal I need to be using?

Or a certain way of treating the metal when I am done so that it is safe for food use?

Thanks!

As John B said, but choices for oil include vegetable shortening, and if for personal use anything suitable for seasoning a cast iron pan. You can even follow the instructions for seasoning cast iron to finish your grill tools!

Phil

I prefer to use a 300 grade stainless if I know the user will be tossing them in the dishwasher on a regular basis.

Note that stainless is a tougher to forge material and more expensive too so such tools are for special friends or for people willing to pay the differential!

I finish in bees wax, and be careful to always tell the customer that I did. I also quickly describe how to repair the finish, vis a vis cast iron. I haven't had a lot of luck with any type of stainless not rusting some after forging. I think the forging process somehow kills part of the stainless properties. It doesn't rust as bad but it still rusts.