I Forge Iron

Morning all,

I'm looking at an anvil online, it' near my parent's for pick up and cheap for the moment. but I'd like people's opinion as it will be my first anvil:

To me it looks in good nick, flat face, the stand is a nice extra. It's obviously had the edges re-built by a not briliant welder, but I'm sure I can tidy up the welds and make it good. the only description is length of 21" and the numbers 1/2 & 4 on it, I've asked if the seller can see anything else.

What do people think? worth the effort?

Thanks

Chris

post-23215-0-76768700-1336288771_thumb.j

It looks quite a lot like the hundred year old Mousehole that I have been using for the last 12 years. Someone welded up all the edges with a stainless rod of some sort, prone to chipping if abused, but quite serviceable.

I say go for it. Worst that could happen is that you will have to rebuild the edges at a later date, or pass it on to a worthy noob apprentice when you eventually upgrade.

If you add your location to your profile, there may be someone that knows about an anvil that is available in your area.

Do a site search for TPAAAT. it should get you started finding an anvil.

I forgot the location, sorted now.

Finding anvils isn't too bad round here, the hard part is finding ones that aren't either totally shot, weigh too much for me to move myself and those that are less than an hours drive away to go collect. This one is near my parent's so is an option - currently selling for 99p on Ebay, but expect that to shoot up - especailly now that i've posted here .. :)

I get a different weight, but I could be wrong.

I think the numbering goes ; cwt, qrs, lb.

Cwt is hundredweight and there are 112 lb in a cwt.

A Cwt is made up of 8 stones, each of 14 lb, or four quarters, each of 28 lb.

The odd pounds are just pounds.

1 cwt is 112 lb,
2 qr is 56 lb
4 lb is 4 lb

Total 172 lb

There are also 20 cwt in a ton, making a ton 2240 lb.

The metric system was adopted here some time ago. Perhaps understandably.

thanks for the info, the seller reckons it is a 52Kg anvil - I think he's weighed it, so the markings might be a bit off/worn.

It's currently £10 but 8 days to go i expect it to be a lot more by the end....oh well.

Chris