I Forge Iron

opinions?

AJAX

what do you think of this forge:http://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/tls/2991245638.html i need a forge that will reach welding temperature fairly easily. i am willing to spend some money but not really over 400$, after all i only need a small forge. so i would like to know what you think. i plan on forging just small things, and i would also like to try forging some Damascus. i have had good success with propane in the past but i guess i would consider some kind of solid fuel forge. alright thanks,

You can build something similar for about $100. A better door, front and back, would make the forge heat better, more evenly and hotter. I would use 2 inches of kao wool instead of 1.

1/4 inch plate is overkill, but that is nice too. You can build the shell from much thinner sheet metal, I used 20 gauge black stove pipe for mine.

Not a bad design overall.

Phil

Not everyone has the knowledge or skill to build a forge. EVen with plans availeable on this site there has been a lot of folks have problems. One of the most common is not reaching welding heat,,That of course may translate into not being skilled in forge welding. My frist suggestion to anyone that has not used or owned a good gasser is to just buy one that works. You may well build one and after several months make it work..if forge welding does not come easy then you will not know if it is you or the forge. That forge you linked looks good. Considering its location and where you are It would not be a tough time to go to the maker and have him show it to youi in action..if he can weld in it buy it. One thing you may need is a adjustable pressure regulator and hose and they are not real cheap. If it comes with that it is a plus. Saving on shipping is aplus.

a forge like what postleg suggested looks good, but where do you think i could get one used so i could just try one like that out for a bit. if i built one like what Phil described, i don't know where to get all the materials, and i don't have a tapping set. all i have is a very small drill press. what i would need is simple plans for a burner that would not require to much machine work, just assemble the parts. even after all that i think the cost would be more right? i mean after i buy gauges and hoses, i guess i could steal a propane tank from my grill but still....

The regulator, hose, and ball valve will eat up the majority of the $100. An adjustable regulator from Mr. Heater is about $20.

A forge this size can be made with about 2 running feet or less of 1 inch insulation, and a common firebrick for the floor. Zoeller Forge, Anvilfire, ebay, and many other online places can sell the needed amount for about $9/running foot (2 square feet)

Zoller can sell you everything and a pre-made burner too, but it will cost more than $100.
http://zoellerforge.com/flare.html

If you use or make a burner holder like pictured on Zoeller's, or use a longer pipe so it catches the burner fittings without needing to drill and tap for bolts.

Last up is a shell. If you use sheet metal you can work it with tin shears and sheet metal screws. You can also also use a metal bucket, or another easy to cut, yet durable shell material.

Building the burner is the most technical part, and there are a number of different plans available. You will need a tap if you use a contact tip, most likely a 1/4-28 (and the correct drill), which probably won't be in a tap kit.

Now, Rich has a good point. Since the seller you linked is local, and within what you are willing to spend, call him up, see if he can do a demonstration of welding, etc. If the forge performs as advertised get it.

Phil

well does anyone have any experience with this forge:http://www.iforgeiron.com/page/index.html/_/blueprints/100-series/bp0192-gas-forge-r416, it seems very simple, but it also doesn't look that efficient. also is there any way i could get around making the fuller in the pipe, because i would need a forge to make a burner for that which makes no sense. do you think i could possibly use a couple of reducers and a small pipe nipple instead?

I can't speak for the burner, but the body is incredibly overbuilt and that shows in the price.

That heavy angle used to support the fire bricks is completely unnecessary and you'll note that he had to build up the entire bottom of the forge to make the angle-iron shelves work. Why? The bricks as a door is time-honored, but these ones stick up an inch over the top. That means all of that metal below the forge's kaowool floor is not needed. Cut all that off, sit the bricks on the tabletop and the door seal would be just as good as what he's got now..... and the forge will weigh a ton less.

Wonder what all that 1/4" steel weighs? The smaller forge looks like it could be made using a large mailbox instead.....

Personally, I'll admit to being scared to make my own propane forge. All the prints and tutorials available still don't give me the courage to start messing with highly explosive gasses, so I keep my eye open for decent pre-made forges. But this one is just a bit over the top. I'd have to pass on it even if it was local.

CL seller says "High quality Kao wool, without barbed fibers for those concerned about their health."

How do he get them out??? :huh:

There are refractory wool liners that are water soluble so your body can get rid of them without damage. I don't know if Kaowool has a soluble product but maybe.

Frosty The Lucky.