I Forge Iron

Blacksmith - limited to a wheel chair

Glenn

In your situation I would think about some sort of Nomex  or other heat resistant pad for your lap in addition to the leather apron or pants.  It would add just that much more protection.  Being confined to a sitting position gives you an area to lay small tools, etc. that we vertical folks don't have.  You might also be able to put some loops or sleeves on the outside of your wheelchair arms for various hammers or tongs.  You may be disabled in certain ways but that may resultin being more abled in others.

I would say that you will need to experiment as to what the optimum height for your anvil and vise will be.

Good luck and keep us informed of your progress.  We would love to see pics of your set up.  You are not the first smith to have to work from that position and what you do may well benefit others in the future.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

George, you're right, there are always advantages to help balance disadvantages.  I'll definitely share what ends up working for me or any iterations there of :) I'll look into a pad like you mentioned.  I've even considered getting some thin sheet metal to shape around my legs.

Jeremy, in case you are unfamiliar with Nomex, it is a synthetic fabric used in military flight suits and by firefighters becsue it is one of the few synthetic materials which will not melt and stick to you.  When exposed to heat it will just crisp up and flake apart..  It isn't fireproof but will not catch fire.  It is available by the yard on Amazom.

I think a fireproof layert, like thin sheet metal and an insulating layer would be what I would look for in a lap pad.  I'd cover the top of it in leather or nomex to catch anything hot.  If it was hard the hot bits could bounce off and land somewhere as bad or worse.

"By hammer and hand alla rts do stand."

45 years of welding taught me the same concern as Frosty, it’s not what lands on you, it’s what gets under you that causes the problems. In your case I would use a leather apron that covers the entire chair. You will have plenty time to grab the apron and shake the hot object off before getting burned and keep it from getting between your body and chair. I would recommend lace up boots also, hot metal loves to find it’s way into pull on boots, especially when sitting, it only takes one time to learn that lesson