I Forge Iron

For most of you the Cosira books are old news, but some of the new guys will not know what I'm talking about. The web is an amazing asset to blacksmiths, and there are free downloadable books from England published by some folks who did not want the old crafts to die without being recorded. I recently bought the hard copies of 2 of the 3 rural development blacksmithing series, and decided to give the grill tooling a go. I had great success with the tooling, but not so much with the actual project. But as this was planned as a test piece, it served its purpose. Boy did I learn from it. Who would have thought that chamfering would lengthen a piece as much as it did? Not me! And being very very careful with cuts will alleviate other mistakes, having the proper rivet set etc.. and final adjustments with a torch I decided to forego, all good learning, and best of all, My dear loving bride LOVED IT!! OK fellas here it is, warts and all! Oh and you too Beth! sorry!

post-4158-0-76198200-1334961821_thumb.jp

post-4158-0-92293000-1334961825_thumb.jp

Yes it's a very nice piece Mike!! I can relate to the learning potential there. I am currently working to get my technique and design refined for some garden trowels that I want to market and it is amazing how many details are important and what can go into fairly simple forms... especially if you want them to be quite well refined. This exercise in repetitive forging is turning out to be quite an educational experience for me. I bet you'll find that you'll learn more than you did this time if you build another one!

Mike, I bought those books when I first started using blacksmithing techniques in my art work and they sure proved their worth, I learned more from them than they cost and that's for sure. By the time you make a full size security door for your front door you will have that particular technique down to perfection and can start making money on it and folk will be so impressed by you front door. Good job on the sample for sure. :P

Looks good.
I had a similar learing experience in a walk gate I did recently. I was happy with the overall but it was an education. I had to learn to do the chamfering before I marked for length. I think 1 by 1/2 inch by 42" bar grew almost an inch in length just doing the chamfer to my satisfaction.

Thanks all, this was just a test for a future project of my own. I can tell you that I learned a very great deal just doing this simple little piece, as a learning curve accelorator, I would suggest it to those that are trying to enhance their intermediate to advanced skills. I now fully appreciate the old adage about doing something a thousand times!.

that looks wicked mike! :) i need to down load that stuff, ive looked at them, would really prefer on paper like you have it. ..
i love the way thats constructed it, it all looks like an honest deal, not the quickest way to cover that surface area with metal, but Because of that and the methods used, it is very appealing visually... youve inspired me, becasue this is exactly the sort of thing i would like to be doing, or a least the kind of metal 'language" i would like to have at my fingertips.. id like to see the tooling too :) im going to look at those downloads again...... :)