I Forge Iron

Gluing Problem

billp

What type of glue works well when attaching a cramic picture to steel straps?

I have a friend who bought a cramic picture framed with a steel frame. There are two straps that I have to weld to the back to hold the picture in place. I can't drill as it would distroy the picture so my only thought is to glue it with an epoxy glue unless there is something better to use. If you have any diffrent ideas or suggestions please let me know.
billp

Good silicone is better than epoxy in most cases as it is flexible and yet strong. If it needs to be demounted just cut the silicone with a knife. The exceptional flex of silicone has better odds of surviving the differential movements of the disparate materials (ceramic and steel). Small mounds or short beads are better than smearing big surface areas as they can flex more... epoxy is too strong and stiff and likely to damage the ceramic when the steel moves.

I would us the clips but I did not build the original frame and fear it would take away from the picture or be distracting. All I was asked to do is add the two back straps that stop the piece from falling through the back side, clean, paint and mount the picture. In another word finish the job someone else started. Sorry about not having a picture but it's kind of an oval shape with scrolls at the top and bottom. The picture is just the couples names and wedding date pinted on it with a flower type border. Which is why I did not want to use the clips.

A picture of the Picture and frame would help. But could you make light gauge clips that weld onto the frame and can then be bent over the edge of the picture. That might hold it into the frame. Just a thought. :)

PL stands for Professional Line and is a brand marketed by Loctite. There are MANY types of adhesive caulks under this brand. The Power Grab Clear products are quite good! I have used them a lot. They are a bit stiffer than silicones but still flexible and very strong with high adhesive properties. Link here: Ooops... no link. Well then URL: http://www.loctiteproducts.com/construction-adhesives.shtml#pl-premium-performance

Like Fe-Wood I am a super fan of SIKAFLEX. My partner works in the marine industry and one day when I had a similar problem he suggested it, it's awesome stuff, has enough give in it, yet super strong!!

Hi Colleen, could you be more specific? Uri Hofi recommended I use Sikaflex for glueing on hammer heads and when I looked them up there seemed to be hundreds to choose from. To which one do you refer and where do you get it?

Hi there blackersmith...

I used 291, (just bought if off fleabay- but is available at marine chandlers everywhere) has worked brilliantly, but from what I can work out 292 is the strongest marine grade, for structural bonding... They repair boats with the stuff, bonding different materials, so I am sure if it works in that environment it can work anywhere!! I am sure you can get away with some of the other ones as well, I had a look and found this, it might help-

http://www.cfsnet.co...ne_Handbook.pdf