I Forge Iron

First class at "Dave's School of Smithing"

I had a guy contact me a few weeks ago, just after I got back from Brian Brazeal's place. He came over and saw the shop and wanted to come back some time and take a class.

He came over yesterday evening for four hours. He's done a bit of smithing before but hasn't had much real instruction so I started basic. We started off on fire starting (Brian Brazeal method,) then I discussed forging with him using the chalk board in the shop. I showed him the dies used for forging, the advantages of hit and rotate, and the importance of reducing surface area contact.
Basically I echoed Brian's instruction.

Anyway, I'm not Brian, and my camera isn't anywhere near Lyle's, but I thought everyone might enjoy some pictures. We made a hardy tool and it turned out quite well.

DSC04416.jpg

DSC04422.jpg

DSC04433.jpg

DSC04446.jpg

DSC04468.jpg

DSC04482.jpg

DSC04484.jpg

DSC04487.jpg

Now I know some of you guys are dying because I'm letting a beginner use a 12 pound sledge hammer on my ANVIL!
I took my anvil over to "Trip's" place the other day and let him strike on it too. He missed a BIG blow and cut my anvil edge straight on with the sledge. I almost exploded when he did! However, my anvil was completely unscathed. The hammer face had a deep gouge in it though. My hammer face is extremely soft. Not sure if it was forged of cheap steel or maybe went through a fire or something, but it is SOFT. For me, not having a cheap striking anvil, soft is GREAT. I just have to regrind my striking hammer after a student takes a class. I like Brian's striking anvil made of mild steel, and will probably make one eventually, but for now, this hammer allows me to use my anvil without worrying too much about it.

So anyway, that's the first class I've ever taught on blacksmithing.

Good job Dave. I have a young man that has a gift certificate that his wife bought him CHRISTmas of 2010 to take a class from me! Saw him this past week at church and told him he needs to take the class in May as I will be fresh out of Brian's class. Nice hot cutter too.

I'm glad that I have not had the oportunity to teach until after Brian's class. When Brian was talking about smithing and techniques, it just all makes sense. It's not that it's the method I like or he like or anyone else likes, it's that it makes sense. I'm glad that I am now in a position (granted I still have a lot of learning to do,) to teach PROPER forging methods.

Haven't I been saying you'd be teaching in no time? I'm a little jealous someone ELSE got the first class but that's okay.

Passing on Brian's methods is a sure way to pass on good methods. Even though I wasn't physically up to much hammering when Brian was here I learned more in hours than I had in years.

Good on ya Dave.

Frosty The Lucky.

nice one FF!!! sounds brilliant, both your own lessons from brian b,and then you teaching your own. the brian b methods ive seen on here are fantastically straight forward, your very lucky to have direct access!! you are obviously a generous spirited bloke, and that goes a long way to being a good teacher in my book. and all in that great accent of yours!!! :) bravo FF!

Look's like you did a good job teaching Dave, but I think you were glad to "practice" teaching, when you were at my blacksmith shop, and to prepare you for what was to happen to your hammer. :D Not the first time I was used as a guinea pig!!! LOL

I try to always keep safety in mind. I've done quite a bit of demoing in the public and particularly to school kids, many of whom are the height of my anvil. That teaches you to be safe and be aware. I do slip up occasionaly, but safety glasses are required in my shop and ear plugs recommended. I always wear plugs.
After four visits to the eye doctor to get stuff removed from my eye (3 out of the four with safety glasses equiped with sideshields on,) I have purchases some full goggles that I always wear when grinding.
To me, doing what you love in an unsafe manner is an awfully dumb way to go blind or loose your hearing.

The steel is car axle. No tempering, just let it air harden. You don't want your hardy hard.

Thanks for the compliments everyone!

"Trip" it won't be the last time either! LOL