I Forge Iron

nightmare

So I had a nightmare that I was forging a cut off Hardy and when upsetting it broke off the heel of my 125 lb HB. Anyone else had similar experiences? Yes I would consider that a nightmare and it would rank in my top five ever if I had a list.

Back when I started the craft show curcuit, I used to have nightmares about forgetting matches, paper, coal, or leaving all my small tools behind. LOL My confidence level must have increased because it's been a while now.

I don't recall any about breaking anything, though!

That would do the trick well. Make yourself a diamond point cold chisel, and a narrow cold chisel that is ground more like a wood chisel, with the cutting edge to the side instead of in the middle, and check out the end of this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxTdbC5MLRQ&feature=plcp&context=C4e8740eVDvjVQa1PpcFOo_aFHC1nmldkoRfKGdgSKydQQxVLNtf8%3D

I used a piece of 1x3 mild steel, it took me about an hour to make the hole, but that was the second time I cut a hole of that nature by hand. I started with four 1/2 inch holes in a careful pattern.

Phil

We used to take Caterpillar dozer valve lifters and forge them into hardy tools doubleteaming them with sledges in a 400 pound anvil---some thing that make me break out in a sweat just thinking of it nowadays---so many better ways to accomplish that with less danger to the anvil!

I use my swage block if I need to forge a hardy shank, not going to break it with human muscle and a hammer.

It's not uncommon to have dreams about a new job, skill, etc. You could ask Deb about me operating graders in my sleep.

Frosty The Lucky.

Having an accident in a car is very unlikely too; but I still wear a seatbelt! I like to evaluate the risk vs return on things and so choose to only do light shaping of a hardy stem using the hardy hole and heavy shaping in something I wouldn't be upset if it broke.

When I'm sizing the stems for my 1.5" hardies I do most of the work in my big screwpress. If I get them a tight fit when red hot they are just about perfect in my judgement when they are cold.