I Forge Iron

Pleased to meet you guys!

Hello there guys (and gals?) My name's Denny, and i'm most certainly an upstart into metalworking. I've started out with a dirt forge in my backyard made from rock/fire brick and an old frying pan, with a water slide blower for my air source. I've been quietly stalking the forums for a while, learning ALOT. I often come here and see what I've done or am doing wrong lol. Anyway, it felt rude to stalk in silence, and take info from you guys (info which I am forever grateful!) without saying hello, and introducing myself. My grandfather was a ferrier, but he passed away long before I was old enough to learn from him. SO here I am, square one, but enjoying myself immensly! Thanks for having me. - Denny

Howdy from East TEXAS!! and welcome to IFI! Well, glad you came in outa the shadows. There is a ton of info here and most of the questions you will have are already answered, ya jest gotta do some seaching, which isn't that hard really, and read. Again, glad you're here.

Welcome aboard Denny, I too am a newbie but I like what I see. I am down here in South Central Ky (Columbia) myself- try and find others near you who will take you under their wing and mentor you, but if that is not possible- then heat it and beat it! :D

Thanks for the welcome! The water slide blower Is something I had laying around after the kids destroyed the water slide I bought for them. Here's a link to one, http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/banzai-water-slide-bounce-house-77933526. It seams to do the job, and its built to run for hours on end, also- it's weather proof. The one I have has sit outside for a year, and still moves alot of air. I was wondering if it was too much for what I wanted to do?

Welcome aboard Dennis, glad you delurked!

I think it depends on how much fire you need for what you want to do. If it produces too much air you can divert it or gate it.

There're lots of smiths in your general vicinity get hooked up with the local blacksmithing association, you won't be sorry.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome to the jungle Denny! We shop in the same “Blacksmith supply house of whatever is laying around”, lol. My air pump is the generic Coleman Quickpump Air Mattress Pump that came with camping mattress that never actually made it camping, lol. I use it in my Brake Drum Forge.