I Forge Iron

New Hammer!!

Hey, folks!

I have a new hammer and I wanted to know if anyone out there has used this/uses this type.

It is a Dead Blow Ball Pien Composite Shank Microcellular/Multi Positional Hand Grip w/Free Flowing Steel Canister. They are available in various weights. I like the 2.5 lbs, but what whatever floats your boat there........and I'm not ready to swing a 3 or 4 lbs of hammer to forge decorative hooks/nails/horse shoes etc.so that isn't the issue here........

I use the old school wood handles in all my (other) smithing hammers, but this is real sweet. I know you don't have to the the cross-pien style hammer to forge with, and that really isn't in question. I have books that portray the use of a ball pien for forgework. If it wasn't working, it wouldn't be published as such.

My point is the dead-blow/shot-filled hammers. Anyone use them? I can't believe how comfortable it is. I hope I'm not kicked off the website for such an act/suggestion..........

-Scott

post-21170-0-82414100-1331837886_thumb.j

According to Wikipedia...."A dead blow hammer is a specialized mallet helpful in minimizing damage to the struck surface and in controlling striking force with minimal rebound from the striking surface. The head of these hammers are commonly hollow and filled with sand or lead shot, which both absorbs the impact of a strike and concentrates all of the energy of the blow in a focused point." That description sounds reasonable for such a hammer...so methinks the minimized damage to struck surface and minimal rebound are polar opposites to what is normally wanted in a blacksmith hammer. But if it works, who is to complain??

Hey, folks!

I have a new hammer and I wanted to know if anyone out there has used this/uses this type.

It is a Dead Blow Ball Pien Composite Shank Microcellular/Multi Positional Hand Grip w/Free Flowing Steel Canister. They are available in various weights. I like the 2.5 lbs, but what whatever floats your boat there........and I'm not ready to swing a 3 or 4 lbs of hammer to forge decorative hooks/nails/horse shoes etc.so that isn't the issue here........

I use the old school wood handles in all my (other) smithing hammers, but this is real sweet. I know you don't have to the the cross-pien style hammer to forge with, and that really isn't in question. I have books that portray the use of a ball pien for forgework. If it wasn't working, it wouldn't be published as such.

My point is the dead-blow/shot-filled hammers. Anyone use them? I can't believe how comfortable it is. I hope I'm not kicked off the website for such an act/suggestion..........

-Scott

I have used one of these (also sometimes known as "Dead heads" for obvious reasons), I did not use it for 'smithing work as it was not lively enough, and hard work in repeated use. I also regularly used ball pein hammers as my normal forging hammers
The faces were also relatively soft, but I don't know about the particular brand you use.

I used it for the purpose it was designed for, ie replacing a lump of lead, cast onto a pipe handle to bed down items when securing them in a machine's vise, and for that it was very good, a lot more expensive than the old lead on a stick, but did the same job

How long a period at a time do you forge with this hammer ? And how does it compare when using a standard ball pein of a similar weight ?

I used to be in pretty good shape as a young man when I made my living as a blacksmith and I had to do a large amount of hand hammer forging.
When I had to hand hammer all day, I would be dead tired at the end of the day.
I know that I could not hand hammer all day with a dead Blow hammer.

You need the re-bound factor of the hammer that is sometimes referred to as (Coefficient or Restitution), (rebound trajectory), or ("trampoline effect") in order to last all day in a professional shop to assist you by kicking the hammer upward.
I would not even attempt to hand hammer all day with a dead blow hammer.
If you read “Richards” post carefully, it is a key to answering your post.

My opinion would be that there is a place, time and use for a dead blow hammer. But it is not for a person forging steel over the anvil who is under the gun of a supervisor in a blacksmith shop and needs to last all day!

I was thinking forge welding too and am interested in results if tried. Another use would be for chasing or other top tool striking, say punching or drifting. Fit ups say mortice/tennon, wedges, etc. might be another specialty use where you want to test fit without making it permanent.

As general forging goes I think not but let me know.

Frosty The Lucky.

I havn't tried it on hot steel set upon the anvil yet.................... I don't have an anvil at the house, it is at the shop. I too am thinking about that "rebound" which lifts the hammer up.

It works great for pounding on cold steel around the shop, chisels etc. I will give it a try soon when I drive over to the historical society. I work for six hrs a day when I'm there, unless we have an event, then it is more like nine.

I generally use the 2 and 2.5 cross pien with wood handle for the small stuff I forge.

Sreynolds if its the feel you like try a fiberglass handle on your blacksmithing hammer they sell cross peens at 2 lb and 4 lb made by stanley and eastwing for around $20. In blacksmithing you want to utilize stored energy to make the work easier. As you hit the metal you work the recoil will help you lift the hammer back up. The key here is you are starting to practice a bad habit it is harder to correct a bad habit than to learn the right method. even if I use a 8 oz ball peen I use the same motion as if I was using a 4 lb hammer. in my work I use a 5lb hammer weather I am working 1/4" or 1 1/2" Look at the best golfers there swing they strive to make it consistent and they shoot for different distances by changing the angle of the club face and the force they use. I hope this helps