I Forge Iron

*Possible* trip to ABANA 2012 Rapid City

I am trying to make up my mind if I want to tackle the 1700 mile each way trip from NJ to Rapid City. Flying from here to small airports is very expensive. I can drive it in my 09 Corolla, round trip on under 100 gallons of fuel plus tolls. I figure $500 for the expenses. I was wondering if one or two people near NJ or on the Rt 80 or RT 70 corridor are interested in sharing driving and costs. Plus one motel night each way. Yes, I plan on 800+ miles/day. Only legal licensed drivers please, with clean driving records.

I am still not sure if I will commit to the trip, just looking to see if anyone is interested.

Either post here or PM me.

You can fly from Newark to Rapid City and return for $450 (tops)!

Which airline? But limits bringing almost anything back to zero. And other costs of being out there without easy transportation.

As I said, I am just exploring possibilities of the trip. Nothing is decided yet. Just putting a feeler out there to see if any one of the EastSide near NJ is having the same thoughts. One more thing to add for possible riders is "NO" smokers.

Which airline? But limits bringing almost anything back to zero. And other costs of being out there without easy transportation.

If you have 2 guys + gear in a Corolla you aren't going to be bringing much more than zero back anyway. If it was me I'd fly and save all that wear and tear. 800 miles x 2 is a lot of wear and tear. As far as getting around while in Rapid City there isn't much problem there either. It's a pretty small place.

But maybe you're thinking of touring Mt. Rushmore or Needles Hwy. or Crazyhorse or Devils Tower (in Wyoming but not so far). Badlands are a good drive thru on the way (couple of hours east of Rapid).

All in all I think I'd fly and rent a car for a day.

btw speed limit in SD is 75mph. Good luck.

You wont have to bring anything back as I and others plan to buy all the good stuff so we can bring it back
2010 ABANA had some tailgating but nothing like what Quad state has. More stuff sells on thursday at quad state than most conferences sells the whole weekend and the conference doesnt even start till Friday night

Here is a link to the info on the conference for anyone interested.
http://www.abana.org/business/Conference_division.shtml

Call the ABANA Central Office and talk to JoAnn if you have any questions on it. I have been there once already in the fall and toured the site. It is a cool location...a little bit our of the way, but is a prime spot for a family vacation.

You can save a little cash by camping on site. The college next door is offering up dorm rooms and meal plans to that could save you some coin.

:-)
Peyton