I Forge Iron

Possibly buying an anvil?

I am looking at buying an anvil that I found online. The manufacturer is unknown but it has a good solid ring. Weight is marked on the side as 194. obviously there is some damage to the table, hardie hole and the corners of the face look a little rough. I only have two pictures to go off of. My thinking is for his price of $175 I would be getting a decent deal on a servicable anvil after some work. Any thoughts or recommendations? If I were to think about reselling what sort of price should I expect? Thanks to anyone who is able to offer assistance.

post-12133-0-10739500-1328153039_thumb.j

post-12133-0-89202600-1328153048_thumb.j

Look up the ball bearing test as the face having been softened by a fire would be the only downcheck I can think of.

Note that anvil prices are still fairly location dependent---was that US Dollars or Australian or Canadian, or Singapore, or...
(Why we suggest people edit their profile to give a very general location---no specifics please!)

I spent 15 years in Columbus Ohio and found Ohio to be the happy hunting grounds for blacksmithing equipment and at the *low* end of prices----not to mention Quad-Sate's tailgating which makes people from less gifted regions drool. (I had a friend from eastern Canada go to Q-S just to tool up a smithing school he wanted to run)

If you really must have it worked over; SOFA used to have an "Anvil Repair Clinic" at one of their meetings every couple of years and you get help from skilled folks who KNOW how to do it RIGHT!

SOFA was such a great group that we used to carpool to their meeting from Columbus---about 2 hours each way + the time we'd spend at the fleamarket at a county fairgrounds along the way...post vises and pie!

Arm and Hammer has a Caplet depression for sure because I have one. Trenton also I believe had them. Not 100% on that. Look close on the front foot for numbers. Wire brush and flour help with reading sometimes.

I just looked at your pictures again and I think I can see the Arm and Hammer logo in the first picture. (right in the wet area). In the picture look just to the right of the 4th and 5th white mark down.

My A&H (clearly marked) has a caplet depression and a serial number on the right side of the front foot when looking at the horn. No sign of a weight stamp on the other side though and it's in decent shape there.

Have to flip the 410# "trenton" (all marking obliterated---I really need to haul it to Q-S and have Postman give it a gander. It's just that it's a 1500 mile trip each way and I'd rather haul 400 more pounds *back* with me...)