I Forge Iron

Sneak Peek, Play Ground Gate

HWHII

HW love how youve joined the two side pieces at the top! i really like the look of that - its a great idea :) also liking the wibbley sides :) the rose looks good and full, i reckon it will be fabulous. will the design face only one way? always think for playground the kids should get some of the action too, inside the gate, as well as the passing public..

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Beth yes it will be two sided.

As far as building code goes their is no restriction because their is no fall or swiming pool hazards. Once it is finished there will be no real hand or foot holds anyway. This gate will be left open most of the time anyway as it heads to the school office.

Eric, Their are some planned.

Is not a gate a mobile railing? Makes sense to conform to codes, even if not demanded, the situation does

Only if the drop off is more than 2' I believe, otherwise It's not a saftey issue as far as code.......A few years back ''they'' wanted to implement a rule that any horizontal members in railings IE scrolls and such were to be verboden so kids couldn't climb the rail and jump off..... I've never heard of that happening,anyway common sense prevailed (go figgure) after there was an uproar from folks like us.......

Good point to make as codes can be quite local!

(I had some fun back in Ohio when I was restoring my house's front porch and the inspector could tell me that the original porch was not to code---but could never cite the code section as to *why*! The new owner ripped out all the original woodwork I had duplicated using architectural salvage and put in vinyl, sigh.)

Well here is another couple of snap shots. The next post I will make will be finished and installed. This is basically it all there is left to do is clean up blendind welds and lots o hand sanding then the patina which will be a blend of copper sulfate, muraric acid and hydrogen peroxcide which will give it a nice old copper penny look.

post-6037-0-01292500-1327775658_thumb.jp

post-6037-0-49588800-1327775668_thumb.jp

post-6037-0-45823000-1327775691_thumb.jp

post-6037-0-61538000-1327775704_thumb.jp

Thanks Old N Rusty! It will be hung pintles, but I like to put a spot weld on the bottom to keep it from being lifted off.

Thanks to you too Eric! The leaves are cut out om my CNC plasma then I do the veining in the flypress cold then throw them in the forge and run them under a spring fuller under then power hammer for texture.

• 3 weeks later...