I Forge Iron

Very Strange Project

Randy

I’ve had what I thought were strange requests over the years, but this one is the strangest one yet. I’ve had to do fireplace tools with German short haired pointers on the handles, hood ornaments of a monster and one as a pointing hand, requests for chastity belts that always fell through, and even a 22” diameter Easter egg to list a few and then this one comes along.

I received an email from a gentleman in Minnesota asking for my help. Here was his request: “I have been searching the internet for information about forging Titanium. I came across your video on YouTube and saw how you made a dragon handled knife (very cool by the way). In December 2010 I had two vertebrae fussed in my lower back, they implanted some Titanium then in September 2011 they removed it. I now have it. I want to turn it into an engagement ring for my girlfriend and possibly a wedding band for myself. I think you just may be the guy to help me.” He even included an x-ray of the pieces in his back! post-1310-0-12135900-1326458382_thumb.jp I thought I had some ideas on how I could achieve this for him so he flew to Pennsylvania and we spent a Saturday working on his project. That’s when I found out he had contacted several jewelers and even some smiths that said what he desired was impossible. Why would they tell him that? Anyway, he proceeds to pull out a little pouch and spread the parts out for me to examine. He said he got a hassle getting through airport security with that. His whole family knew about his project and were excited that he was getting it accomplished.
post-1310-0-88174100-1326458445_thumb.jp
I first tried a ring looking piece to see how the material would forge and they were already looking like a ring. The holes in them were so large that there wasn’t much material left on the sides and it tore through at those points before I could stretch it enough to get the size ring required. The threaded pins were the solution. Then he asks if there is some way that I can make a mounting for a diamond? Oh, boy. I saw there was a hole about 1/2" deep in the end of the stud. I bent the stud at a 90 degree and stretched the hole out to fit the diamond that he had brought along. He was prepared! Then I flattened the threads and shaped it into a ring to the required size. I made the second ring different by squaring and twisting and squaring again. I ended up making three rings total, an engagement ring and a wedding band for him and her. Unfortunately I do not have photos of all three. I wire wheeled them and he was going to buff them to shiny silver and attach the diamond.

post-1310-0-39342500-1326458506_thumb.jp

[post-1310-0-28222200-1326458553_thumb.jp

post-1310-0-69778300-1326458570_thumb.jp

I found out that he had the pieces because his body rejected them. I told him I hoped his intended fiancé didn’t have the same reaction to them. He was thrilled with what I was able to do for him and I got an email right after New Year’s letting me know that she said “yes” and that she loved the rings.

He has been having trouble downloading the video and photos he took in my shop and photos of her wearing the ring from his new camera phone, but if I get those I’ll include that later. All in all it was a good, but unusual challenge. I had a good guy to work with, who was very appreciative, and we had a fun day making several people very happy.

... :blink::huh:

This is one of the reasons that I got into smithing. When all else fails, give the job to a smith!

Nice work. How did you bend the end for the diamond that close with out collapsing the hole?

I wear a ti ring as it is the only thing that I have not managed to bend all out or round. After the 2nd trip to the hospital to have a ring cut off (I happened to be working at the hospital that day, so they wouldn't just let me clip it myself!) I found the Ti rings. Best investment ever.

thats fabulous randy! id have been so pleased with that ring - i love the way it looks, how it becomes thinner in both dimensions on the end, youve done a great job with very weird starting point. :) i get a buzz about life that people are devising these plans - brilliant :) a TOTAL one off :) lucky girl to have married such an imaginative chap!

Thanks all! I made the bend by heating and putting a small pin in the hole which immediately sucked the heat out of that area, then used the pin to bend it to 90 degrees. Then I drove a punch, like a centerpunch shape, into the hole which spread it big enough for the diamond plus tightened up the bend.

He thought about anodizing them, but in time it would probably wear off. I see it as a surface oxidation like tempering colors and they will rub off in time. Plus he was afraid the colors for these rings would look cheasy. Not a look one wants for their wedding bands.

• 2 weeks later...

Anodizing can be scrapped off or buffed off. I find it more resiliant then heat coloring and the best thing about it is that once you repolish it it can be reanodizwed with no reall loss. Though I bon't know if you would want to run the diamond through the process too often. Then again it is a diamond what will a week electrical current due to it.

My question was how the diamond was set. I doubt you created prongs, or pushed material over the edges cold, but you must have done something to get it to hold in place.

Thom, for setting the diamond I had a nice fitting recess for him and I recommended super glue. They have a special one that is a little thicker than the normal super glue that a lot of jewelers use. It's called Zap-A-Gap.

• 4 weeks later...

What is this fasination with titanium? Since this job I had a lady that wanted ti platform shoes with a 8" heel and 4" platform! I figured how I could do it, but the material would be about $500 and with my time about $2400 total. She went to a fabricator and they quoted $5000 plus a minimum. Her husband still said too much for now. Crazy!

All they Hype about Ti being a super metal "Ti edged razors!" "Ti golf clubs!" "Ti laptop shells!---(when AL makes a SUPERIOR laptop shell to Ti due to heat dispersion!) "Ti bank cards!"----I'm holding out for a plutonium visa myself!

People have trouble understanding that alloys are use specific and so what makes a Great SST shell material can make a lousy knife---and vice versa.

Great job Randy! These kinds of jobs are what I live for, something unique and very personal to the customer.

I have the plates from my left arm but they're pretty plain jane for forging something interesting. I still have them though, just in case I or someone comes up with something cool.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 2 weeks later...