I Forge Iron

First forge

jmcquirt

This is a charcoal forge made from a washtub with a drilled black steel pipe running through the middle. The sides are adobe (cat litter clay, sand and wood ash). The air supply is my sister-in-law's old hair dryer hooked up to a speed controller.

post-23297-0-12705700-1326345682_thumb.j

post-23297-0-74215900-1326345863_thumb.j

post-23297-0-22625200-1326345940_thumb.j

I like the length of it. I'm using a brake drum forge and it works best on shorter stuff. I wouldn't mind being able to heat longer pieces of stock. Yours is pretty sweet. Do you have any issues with the duct tape holding the hair dryer on getting hot? I considered doing that for mine, but need to be able to take the hair dryer off fairly readily. It makes getting the forge back into the garage easier when I'm done.

I think you did a really good job on your first forge. Welcome to IFI. The only thing that would concern me, and I am sure you may hear this again, is the chance that excessive heat may be transferred to the galvanised wash basin. I get a little worried whenever I see anything galvanised that may come in contact with fire. Heavy metal poisoning is deadly serious.
Don't take what I say wrong please. I think you did a great job on the forge and I hope you are able to create a lot of great things but safety is one of my top concerns.

Where are you located? You can put your general location in your profile. Other blacksmiths may be in your area.

Mark <><

First, welcome to IFI. The forge looks like it will work just fine, to start. I think that the Adobe that you lined it with will help insulate the galvanize from the heat. Just be careful. As Mark said, galvanize is some BAD STUFF when burned. I look forward to seeing some of your work that you do with this forge. Post lots of pics. We like pics. :)

I had the same concern about the galvanized tub. The tub is lined with adobe below the tuyere and slopes up the sides to the top of the tub. The adobe also covers the last 3" of the tuyere completely on both ends. It insulates well. After forging all day, I can touch the black pipe that runs outside the forging area. I have no problems with the duct tape or the dryer melting. There is also a thin strip of steel taped under the external pipe and the dryer for support.

I have no question that your HOOKED! ^_^
We are fortunate that we have people (members) who care enough to make you aware of issues just in case you were not.
We get healthy "Point and counter Point" views about any given topic, which has made I Forge Iron the high quality site that it is.

Again, action speaks louder than words and you have spoke volumes by your actions and getting it done!
I am sure we will see more about you and your work as time goes by!

With my best!
Ted Throckmorton

Private Entrance, I forgot to address part of your question regarding portability/storage. The tuyere is an 18" black steel pipe with an end cap on one side and a coupling on the other. There is a second 18" pipe taped to the dryer and hand tightened to the coupling. Rather than removing the tape, I unscrew that part from the forge. The forge is heavy, so I leave it covered out back and store the dryer assembly in the garage. It is essentially the design from Tim Lively's website, www.timlivelyknives.com/washtubforge.htm .

Thanks for the encouragement Ted!

J, thanks for the reply. I didn't see the coupling on the pipe until you said there was one there. Doh!

The hairdryer you're using looks almost exactly like mine now that I look at everything closer.

I want to get my forge built onto a real frame at some point. One with wheels. The forge ain't real heavy (maybe 20# or so) but I wouldn't mind NOT carrying it into the garage when I'm done. Rolling is so much more pleasant.

• 2 weeks later...

Not to beat a dead horse but as far as the galvanized tub, I think you are fine as long as you watch the exterior of your tub. If it ever looks more like your charcoal chimney than your trash can next to it then walk away. Ok nuff said.
I wish I had seen yours before I made mine, You have definitely shown another way to do it and that just means more ideas for me to steal for my own. :)

I've always been a bit skiddish about heat and anything that's galvanized. If you smell anything that is unfamiliar, get away from it. I honestly think you're safe enough, the only place to watch is the very top. But I must say I'm envious of the size, I'm compelled to go build one myself now.

• 7 months later...

*LOTS* of folks in the neo-tribal metalsmithing movement use the Tim Lively washtub forge design with the cheap kitty litter adobe mix. It's specifically designed for using charcoal and for knives and for getting folks with squat in the way of tools started smithing.

N.B. I'm still a moderator at the old Primal Fires Neo-Tribal metalworking site.

• 2 weeks later...