I Forge Iron

Replacing My 1830's M&H Mousehole

About a year ago I picked up this 233lb Mousehole anvil for $25. The face is swaybacked, chipped and pitted but has good rebound. It was worse but I sanded it to even out the worst of the gouges.

233mousehole.jpg

I'm goint to pick up this one, possibly today. We agreed on $100. The face looks to be in much better condition, though slightly swaybacked. It has been in this guys family for at least a couple of generations. His dad used to tack weld stuff to the waist of it and grind it off later, so all of the makers marks are gone. He also painted it silver. It looks to me like its another mousehole, possibly in the 1830-1895 era based on the waist/foot shape and the pritchell hole. He weighed it at 113lbs.

113mousehole1.jpg

113mousehole2.jpg

113mousehole3.jpg

Was $100 a fair price and is it a mousehole?

Looks like a deal to me. I still use the coupler knuckle and rr track that were my old anvils even after I got a real one. Never get rid of something unless the boat gets so top heavy that it wants to tip over. (Or in other words, Don't get rid of anything till the wife starts to whine about too much "stuff")

Postman says there were over 250 different anvil makers in England and many of their anvils look alike. Mousehole was one of the more common ones exported to the US; but a lot of odd ones do turn up. Well worth the price and having another anvil that can hold tooling is a good idea. A 100 pounder is just about perfect as a traveling "Demo Anvil" and you still have the larger one for sledging on back in the shop!

My Mousehole anvil deal may have fallen through. I have a lead on a sweedish anvil. Its in good shape and its marked 18. I'm guessing that its 18CWT which would put it at 338lbs, but the seller has no way the weigh it. He did say it was heavy.

Did these anvils use the CWT scale, or did they not stamp the weight on them? I haven't been able to find any info on the manufacturer:

nohab3.jpg

nohab2.jpg

The above are the only markings. Thanks

Picked it up this afternoon and just finished cleaning it up:

nohab02.jpg

nohab01.jpg
The guy I bought it from was no spring chicken, and it belonged to his dad.

I don't know what the 18 means and I've found no other markings than "NOHAB" and "Sweden". I weighed it in my shop at 204lbs. It rings loudly and has tons of rebound. I'm going to have to get used to not working with a Swayback in the face!

Thanks all, for the help!

Luke, anvils don't really come around too much. Congratulations. With a comment from the native country of manufacture (thank you Harry) perhaps we will learn more eventually about your find. My experience has shown that cast anvils don't ring much. This was one of the selling points of Vulcan (quiet forging).

Luke, anvils don't really come around too much. Congratulations. With a comment from the native country of manufacture (thank you Harry) perhaps we will learn more eventually about your find. My experience has shown that cast anvils don't ring much. This was one of the selling points of Vulcan (quiet forging).

I think i'll start a new thread for NOHAB anvil info. These anvils seem to be fairly rare. I've stumbled across some info about the company. Maybe we can attract more people with knowledge of these anvils.

it has really cool texture on it. man you got such a great deal on that swede anvil, that was the deal that ive been looking for. congrats. but bouy illl tell them anvils will ring your bell. my ears hurt one time i used one in classs and didnt have plugs in my ear for like 30 mins.