I Forge Iron

Peter Wright type anvil?

Does anyone make an anvil similar to a Peter Wright, London pattern, today? There is the most beautiful Peter Wright anvil on E-bay right now. The bidding has pushed it out of my range, so, I was wondering if anyone made a similar type anvil. I like the "table" on that type of anvil.

What weight are you looking for? I have a 150pound Peter Wright that I'd take $325 for. A fellow on NWBA site was looking for one and I posted it there but he didn't respond. It needs a little buildup work on one edge,but is perfectly functional now. That's a few cents over 2 bucks a pound! If I can't get that I'll keep the darned thing...post-5278-0-38982100-1324957245_thumb.jp

What is a 400# worth these days?

Here in Oregon where you and I are? $800-$1,200? Depending on make, and condition. I bought a lovely 300# Fisher for $360 recently.. but I'm sure that it could have gone for $600 easily likely more. I just went to an auction and saw a 120# farriers anvil go for over $400. Portland Craig'slist has anvils go for $3.00 a pound frequently.

I mean, 400# is too big. I'll take it off your hands. I wouldn't want you to get hurt moving it?

Ya' gotta' wonder. Do the Matchless Antique guys get out the ol' disc sander and belt sander and make the anvil look 'mint?' Do they do any arc welding buildups, perhaps on the cutting table? Do they ever sand the face down so much that they get below steel and into wrought iron? And that horn. I, for one, do not want my horn needle sharp.

Frank: Old wise one, you know the tricks of the trade. The e-bay anvil looked brand new, and went for $4,550.00 Do you know of any modern day anvils that are similar to that Peter Wright in terms of weight and style. I like a "table" like the Peter Wright. I know Rat Hole has a nice anvil, but no table.

Already got hurt moving it. At my age,sneaking up on 70,I shouldn't make bets but I did and picked the thing up but spent lots more than I won at my chiropractor's office. Mine is a just a few pounds shy of 400 and is pretty much cherry,but I'll wait until it's worth $1500 before selling. May take time,but I'd rather have my money in an anvil than in a bank these days. Safer investment and draws better interest.post-5278-0-46933500-1325052488_thumb.jp

Ya' gotta' wonder. Do the Matchless Antique guys get out the ol' disc sander and belt sander and make the anvil look 'mint?' ...
From what I understand from talking to them is that they employ a couple of highschool type kids with wire wheels and wd40. Lots of wheel and cup work, but nothing harder.

Wire cup & WD40 only? You have to show me; I'm from Missouri.

I have written a personal note to Dave. In terms of old anvils, I would perhaps continue looking for a Trenton. Most of them have a deep drop (step) and a nice cutting table. Francis Whitaker said that an ornamental smith should not use the table for cold cutting. If an old anvil is marked up and chewed up in that area, it should be built up with mild steel rod and sanded flat. That portion is then used as a right angle vee block with the hand hammer (often the peen) for hollowing, cupping, and socket making.

As for new anvils having the London pattern, Unforgivun's post about the JMH brand "Competitor" is worth considering.

I'm cirrently using a Rathole without the step. If I need one, I drop a square stake in the hardy hole.

I've been in the matchless antique shop. They do only use wire wheels to clean the crude off the stuff they sell. When I was there last I saw a very large pile of worn out wire wheels. Early on they tried some sandblasting, but that really destroyed the marketability of the anvils for them, so they just 'wheel 'em now. Steve is really a good guy, and his reputation as a honest dealer is well deserved. I think that is why he usually gets top dollar for what he sells.

When I started making a lot of something that I used to use the step to shape I finally made some hardy tooling that did a better faster job for what I used it for. (And I am sometimes hesitant to make hardy tools in my unpowered shop for my 1.5" hardy holes!)

Now when I'm off doing demos on someone else's anvil and have to use the step it just feels "funny".