I Forge Iron

Weight of 25# Little Giant

I just bought a 25# Little Giant (1939s era mfg.). I'm wondering about transport and its weight. Will it be best to transport the hammer in its vertical position? What are good tie points for my chain and webbing? I think loading it on my trailer will not be a problem. Fork lifts on both the pick up and my shop ends. Unloading should also be pretty straight forward. The problem is moving it around in my shop (roof too low to admit fork lift). How much does the hammer weigh? Can I move it around with roller pipe? Thanks

If I recall correctly, think in multiples of 800lbs. A 25 is 800lbs, a 50 is 1600lbs, a 100 is 3200lbs. Sling from the "C" and they dangle sweetly.
1/2 or 3/4 pipe rollers and 1 person can move them easliy just take it slow as they are top heavy. I've moved quite a few. Mike

Haul it in the vertical position. Tie it from the top to all 4 corners of the trailer and equally important, tie it from the bottom to all 4 corners too. If you don't the top will be stabilized but the bottom will walk. I arrived home once with the hammer closely resembling the leaning tower of Pisa. About 800 pounds is right. Roller pipe works fine. Good luck.

It's also fine to lay it down with the head protected by laying on an old tire. Works fine. I've hauled four or five that way. Last one the man I bought it from put tire on a wooden pallet and wrapped with strapping machine so forklift could easily pick it up and load it. Really easy to move around the shop with a cherry picker and slung by the "C"..

Like most ratings - and this is the same - a 25LG may be rated for 2", that is a max rating (on occasion if needed and very slow forging even at a high heat) and a quantity rating would be less as in the 1" range.
An analogy would be a plasma cutter rated for 3/4" - yes it will sever 3/4" but a quality proficient cut would be down in the 1/2"-5/8" range and less for a more faster cut. When one works with any equipement, they are the first to know what the limits are when you get to them.

Like most ratings - and this is the same - a 25LG may rated for 2", that is a max rating (on occasion if needed and very slow forging even at a high heat) and a quantity rating would be less as in the 1" range.
An analogy would be a plasma cutter rated for 3/4" - yes it will sever 3/4" but a quality proficient cut would be down in the 1/2"-5/8" range and less for a more faster cut. When one works with any equipement, they are the first to what the limits are when you get to them.

Good analogy jeremy

When I had a 25#LG I found that an 1-1/2" round was about the true max of workability of the machine. Two inch just didn't happen on my machine at least in any reasonable time frame. One could almost work it down faster by hand with a 3# hammer. When I had to move mine I laid it down but when Harold bought it he hauled it away standing up and took it from Cave Creek to Tucson that way. I used 1/2" steel rod to roll it around the shop on smooth concrete whenever I wanted to relocate it, just had to have help with someone moving the rods.

If you want to draw 2 in. on a 25# it will need to run about 400 blows per min. and have drawing dies about 1 in wide. Like Grant said it's gotta be hot.
In Ashville I put an 18 in 4 side taper on apiece of 1 3/4 square 1020 in 1 heat. I really think that 2 in rating means that you can open the dies up to where it will cycle thru properly without coil binding the spring.

Another +1 for the well tuned part..I have seen a 50lb LG that literally would not draw out a RR spike for a knife in one heat.It was hurtful to watch.My 50lb LG is very well tuned(I cant take credit for it though) It will destroy a RR spike in no time at all..