I Forge Iron

Types of Steel Resource

Iron Striker

Welcome to the site Jamie. It might help a little with your question if you let us know wot you are interested in making. By that I mean if you are making blades we can head you in one direction. scrolls animal heads etc another, Tools lsuch as punches, hammers or chisels another. Fill in some blanks and we can likely fill in some answers. And more than likely can provide some sources near you.

Machinerys Handbook has a fairly concise listing of steel types and suggested uses at least as of the 23rd edition that I have.

The ASM handbooks, now close to that proverbial 5' shelf of books, has a more in depth going over but tends to be more esoteric and quite expensive. (I pick up stray volumes whenever I run across them cheap; the heat treating one is my favorite)

No, I don't know of a single, concise resource that contains what you're looking for, although Machinery's Handbook does have a table that suggests steels (often expensive ones) for various applications. That will get you in the ballpark, as will the various junkyard steel charts. But the first step is to start becoming familiar with steel terminology, the basic properties of different types of steel, and then the more common alloys and their specific properties and common uses.

Mod note: Link removed at the request of Anvilfire.

Edited by Glenn
external link removed due to request from that site's administrator

note that EVERY junkyard steel list I have seen has had some major problems based on the fact that suggested materials are often not used in favor of *cheaper* materials---for example their are few if any jackhammer bits made from S7, most are just a plain middle carbon steel. Another one I have personally run into is a low alloy strain hardened leaf spring that could not be quenched hardened! (of course that's 1 in 30+ years of smithing...)

note that EVERY junkyard steel list I have seen has had some major problems based on the fact that suggested materials are often not used in favor of *cheaper* materials---for example their are few if any jackhammer bits made from S7, most are just a plain middle carbon steel. Another one I have personally run into is a low alloy strain hardened leaf spring that could not be quenched hardened! (of course that's 1 in 30+ years of smithing...)

I agree completely, Thomas, and that's a worthwhile point to make for the sake of any casual Internet surfers who might happen upon this thread, read it less-than-carefully, and draw the wrong conclusions. But to be clear, I think the original poster's question was not, "where can I find junkyard steel of type X?" Junkyard steel charts are very problematic for answering that sort of question. However, I believe his question was, "where can I find a reference that tells me what kind of steel would be good for making item Y?" And I think the junkyard steel charts would actually do a fair (if somewhat limited) job of that, although the steels they list for many applications are often much higher-end than what industry typically uses.

As for knife steels I would think that "The Complete Bladesmith, The Master Bladesmith and the Pattern Welded Blade" all by James Hrisoulas would have quite enough info on suggested steels and how they need to be forged! I would start with the first one; still time for it to be a Christmas present if you expedite shipping...

Many of the common questions has answers at the top of the section it applies to. For example copper questions would be in the non ferrous metals section. Not everything is in the general smithing section. Since you asked about blade steels, look at the knife sticky's, this one: http://www.iforgeiro...choosing-steel/ has the answers to some of the questions you asked.

I have a fairly comprehensive list of the composition of various junkyard steels as well as a list of some of the more common blade steels along with heat treating information that I have gleened from various websites, ABANA publications and other reference materials such as Machinery's Handbook. Message me with your email address and I will send you a copy. It is about 20 pages in MS Word format.