I Forge Iron

heat treating a double edged knife

to those that say they doubt a boar can kill a man u are mistaken!!!my dad hunted hogs with dogs and handcuffs for years(until the market went down the tubes and it got too expensive)hogs are very tough there are countless stories of hogs shot in the head with a 22 that just walked off.As for hogs killin people yes feral hogs have tusk and yes they cut very well the pigs will go past you and slice your leg cutting through arteries and such.And that about sows not being dangerouos?they are probably more dangerouos then a boar when they have baby pigs.just my two cents

• 2 weeks later...

there are countless stories of hogs shot in the head with a 22 that just walked off...

I had a .22 pistol with me for the coup-de-grace the one time I went pig hunting.  Dropped a boar nicely with a rifle shot, but as he was still kicking, I thought a shot in the center of the skull would do nicely to quiet him down.

I ended up emptying the magazine (10 shots) into various points on his head before he finally settled down.

Very good eating, as I recall.

Back of the neck with a shotgun when I put down a pig did nicely, fall in less than a second and only moving cause of nerves.

Had my mums uncle tell me a while ago that when he was younger and got together with other rellies etc... for pigging all but one had a centrefire rifle and the last had a 12g semi-auto shotty for pigs appearing out of the bush or ravines/gullies around where they used to hunt and needed firepower stat, no time to aim properly.

Bigfootnampa, in India they used to put a full grown wild boar and a tiger in a pit to fight. Smart money was on the pig in close quarters........

As had been said uphill from here, they are covered with gristle from snout to short ribs, and dang near bulletproof to small arms. As I am told, you want to put the wide blade in parallel to the ribs, then twist 90 degrees. Use the spear shaft to wiggle.

Da Yoopers have a song called "The Killing of The Big Pig"

16 year old pig got into the root cellar.  Tried hitting it in the head with a hammer; hammer broke.  16 gauge in the pig's ear? The pig just sneezed.  Finally got the town hall cannon:  three shots to knock it down, four more shots to finish it.

seemed appropriate..

My recommendation is to NOT make such a knife, I try not to encourage such things to people I like.

Alaska is a state where it's legal to hunt with a spear or used to be anyway, that's not on my bucket list so I don't keep track. The old native way to take polar bear with a spear is with a long shaft, long double edged blade and a stout bore stopper. then you get the bear chasing you, you run with the point facing backwards and when the bear is too close to stop you jam the butt into the ground and hit the dirt lifting the blade to chest height  and say a few words to the deity of your choice. Ours not being theirs and in this situation I don't think it makes a lot of difference. Once the bear hits the stop it tends to want a piece of you so it picks the hunter up using the deeply imbedded spear and tries to beat you to death by swinging, slapping and just generally beating the dickens out of the antagonist. While all this violence is happening to the hunter end of the spear shaft the blade is swinging back and forth with the boar stopper as the pivot and cuts the bears innards to hash in the process.

As insane as this hunting technique sounds it IS a time proven method, many thousands of years old on this continent, maybe older elsewhere.

Frosty The Lucky.

Hog hunting is usually done with a pack of pit bulls they run it tired force it to surrender and lay down usually without touching the hog unless your dogs are attack happy the knife is there to finish it or harvest an animal with no fight left in it. Dogs are more often use to take the hog alive than to cut him, and wait a couple weeks before harvesting or marked and released to hunt. Hogs do have a very thick skin on there back and if stabbing through that one would need a tough blade but it's quicker easier and more humane to cut its throat our shoot it than to attempt to cut through their armor if you will

Hog hunting is usually done with a pack of pit bulls they run it tired

sorry u have two different setsof dogs,bay dogs and catch dogs the pit bulls arent unleashed until the boar is cornered

they run it tired force it to surrender and lay down usually without touching the hog unless your dogs are attack happy

you have a seriously trained bunch of catch dogs if they will lay down and quit usually the hunters carry pry sticks or screwdrivers to pry the dogs off the hog then tie them to a tree

p.s. we once had a dog chew off a small tree he was leashed to just so he could get to the hog lol