I Forge Iron

complete newb question

Howdy guys and gals~

I am looking to do a bit of "blacksmithing" to support another hobby and I have a real quick question for you all.

First, the other hobby: I sculpt with polymer clays. I would like to design/create more tools, as those I have don't always meet my needs. I could go and buy some nice sets but again, I'm not guaranteed to have what I want/need. So why not have some fun making my own? (I am prepared for failures and doing things over a few times :) )

I would like to make these tools using steel rod. My question is this: if I am using 1/8 inch

you might be able to heat the 1/8th in rod but not the 1/4 in and it would take a long time to get them hot enough. unless you built a single refractory brick forge just a refractory brick with a tube into which you place your steel and another smaller hole to put the torch into i have made a forg like this and used it to heat 1/2 rebar to orange heat with a propane torch. and for higher temps/faster heats try mapp gas.

There was a guy a few yrs ago that came up with a "bean can forge". I saw this in a newsletter. He took large bean can (I guess about 4" in diam, not gettin up to look) and lined it with refractory blanket (kaowool, durablanket etc).
He then stuck the tip of a plain jane propane torch (not the smaller, self igniting kind) through a hole in the side of the can. You could have a 3/4" hole in the opposite end of the can to pass longer lengths through but that end should be covered with a layer of the isulation also. This would get your rod hot enough and heat up quite a bit quicker than brick. Brick would work just fine too.

Wow, thanks guys. i have some reading to do. the "bean can" forge is similar to what is used for Raku pottery. very intersting. i KNOW i could make that one. will have to read up on the others.

Thanks for responding to my question so... nicely. :) Always been intersted in blacksmithing, but at this point I'm trying hard to keep from adding it to my rather long list of hobbies. Hoping to keep it simply to tool making... :)

Link removed at the request of anvilfire

This addy will take you to the original article and gives credit to the inventor Ed Halligan. They say the original drawing is lost but you'll get the idea. WARNING... a lot of smiths got started just "wanting to make a few tools" for woodworking or whatever. You may already have turned down the path to becoming a blacksmith. Welcome. Remove one marble after completion of your forge.

Go to IForgeIron.com > search the site > BP0184 and BP0244 for some ideas.

Any mass can be used as an anvil. For working small material like 1/8" or 1/4" go to a machine shop or welding shop or junk yard and look for cut-off or drops or ......well junk. Look for cylinders or heavy wall square tubing and ...junk. All nice shapes that can be used.

Don't be fooled into thinking that unless it looks like an anvil it won't work.

I have a very cheap, very portable "1-brick" forge that would easily handle 1/8" and probably short sections of 1/4".

I bought a soft brick, bored it end-to-end with a 1" paddle bit (slow and careful). I then drilled a 1/2" hole in the side. I stick the very end of my propane torch (just the simple blue bottle deals that you sweat pipe with) though the small hole. MAPP would probably be hotter and more efficient. I keep the back covered to hold heat in, but it's great for small forgings and heat-treating when you don't want to fire the forge up.

This would be ideal for small engraving tools and such. I often use the flat of my bench vise for a make-do anvil.

Here's a link to someone else's site; scroll about half way down for pictures of the "one-brick forge" (of course I stole the idea...):

one brick forge pictures

Don

1777.attach

1778.attach

OK guys, i have one more quick question!

It was suggested that i stay away from cast iron. How about cast steel, especially for a little 15lb anvil for the kind of little tool work i will be dong? Found some on Ebay and i will continue looking for others. I am new to my area so im not sure what machine shops there are. but im going to try to see if i cant just get a nice chunk of steel instead. will see but i need a plan b.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Vash:

Welcome to the addiction.

Find yourself a section of RR rail, it's a lot cheaper and better than the little cast anvils, iron or steel.

Pick up a copy of, "The Complete Modern Blacksmith" by: Alexander G. Weygers. ISBN 0-89815-896-6

This is one of the best books on improvising a metal working shop from found materials going. Weygers is actually a carver, wood and stone mostly and traveled all over the world. Rather than taking all the tools he'd need to carve whatever he found wherever he was, he'd just build a smithy from found stuff. Then he'd make whatever tools he needed at the time and do his carving.

Frosty

If you are in the USA your local public library can probably ILL a copy of "The Complete Modern Blacksmith" by Weygers so you can look over it before buying a copy.

BTW how do you know that that small anvil on e-bay is cast steel? I have seen more mislabled items on e-bay than correctly labled ones...

A chunk of broken fork lift tine makes a good anvil too and should be available at scrap rate from a forklift place.

Thomas