I Forge Iron

Wisdom gained from experience

Last night, I had two sections of 1" square and I wanted a 360º twist in the center 6 inches using the vise and a wrench.

I had never twisted 1" before.

When twisting smaller stock, I usually go at an orange heat and find that I can control the twist better if I don't get it too hot.

Not so with this stuff. I nearly popped a vessel trying to move that stock at an orange heat. My wrist is still sore.

What did I learn?

"If yer gonna twist 1", you better git it yellar" ("yellow" for our friends up north).

Another problem solved by simply getting enough heat to get the job done.

Set the anchor point of the stock so you can COMFORTABLY locate your feet for leverage and use a longer lever (handle). You may want to isolate the heat zone before twisting to make the starting and stopping points more clear to the viewer.

Well at the Festival of the Cranes Demo I kept warning my apprentice that while it was nice showing off using the heavy sledge one handed in the morning, your arm and shoulder were going to give you what for in the afternoon and next morning you'll be wanting to not lift your arm above your shoulder.

He proceeded to learn this on his own.

I keep trying to keep him from being as messed up as I am when he gets this old---and yes I mean YOU! #1....

I tried to keep with small stuff an a small hammer so I could do 3 days straight at the anvil.