I Forge Iron

I Want To Build a Clay Spencer Tire Hammer.... I Need HELP!!

I just sold some unwanted blacksmithing tools and now I have a good bit of cash that I would like to turn in to a Tire Hammer.
I have used one made by Clay Spencer at John C Campbell Folk School, and I LOVED it.

I need to know where/how to get plans to build a tire hammer, and any tips/tricks on making one.

Thanks

@ ironsmith, Thanks for the link, now all I need to do is find all the parts, and get to work!!!!!!

I am a little worried about getting the anvil post straight and square. Does any one have any tips on how to get it square???

Trip, we are doing a build in Hillsborough, NC on Dec 10-11. I don't know your personal situation but you will definitely save yourself some time and head scratching to attend and help with a build before attacking this solo. We may be within striking distance of you. I am pretty sure a pair of extra hands would be welcomed. Email me if you are interested and I will connect you with the organizer. - Doug

One thing I can suggest is that when you are welding you want to start by getting some good tacks on each side, then check your square again. welding will cause distortion and things will move when you weld them. This can be corrected by welding on the other side. Clamping things in place or using temporary spreaders can help to control distortion. I like to get things fit up and then step back and look at it- your eye can pick up on something that is out of whack and you can fix it before you weld it up (a lot easier). I will make small welds and move around to the other side or a different part, this helps to control distortion also.
Attending the build would be a great idea, looks like it is not too far from you

If one was "better" that's all people would build. The tire hammer runs off of a 1hp motor, the air hammer requires a compressor. The air hammer is easier to learn to use. The tire hammer can often be built cheaper. There is no "best"!

Well said!
I have used both the tire hammer and the Kinyon hammer extensively. I don't have a favorite as both are nice. I think most people here would agree that the "which is best" question is a coin toss.

The tire hammer is overall the cheaper to run. A compressor is going to draw much more electricity and once you factor in the parts of the air hammer and the parts on the compressor, there are more parts that can malfunction. The air hammer parts are general more expensive to replace as well.

• 1 year later...
  • I am a member of Saltfork and if you have any problems getting  a copy of the plans, let me know and I can make arrangements to get a copy out to you.  Clay's contact information is on the site and he responds to e-mails. He has been a great help with my questions as I have been gathering up the metal to start mine.
  •  Two of us are starting our tire hammers tomorrow and I will try to post some pictures of our progress.

Dan

Trip,

The Clay hammers are a very good buy and it will serve you well. Consider attending a sponsored build. You get a hammer and the group dynamic reduces the time it would take for you to do it all yourself. Additionally you save on the cost of materials because of the bulk buy. Best of all you get to meet Clay and a group of like minded individuals involved in a labor they all enjoy. I built mine along with 12 others at the NESM a few years back and i have been very pleased with its performance. The group build concept is the way to go and I am sure you will be pleased. Good luck with your build.

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

I have most of the metal cut for the hammers. Expect around 15 hours with a band saw if you use one like mine. A heavier saw would probably significantly cut the time needed. I'll add photos of the cut parts once I figure out how and follow with the welding up in a few weeks.

Dan

Trip....Just read in a newsletter about the Oklahoma group (SCABA) is planning a tire hammer building workshop to be led by Clay Spencer. Contact information is Jim and his e-mail blacksmithingone@gmail.com put power hammer workshop in the subject line... Not sure if this is what you're looking for???

Trip....Just read in a newsletter about the Oklahoma group (SCABA) is planning a tire hammer building workshop to be led by Clay Spencer. Contact information is Jim and his e-mail blacksmithingone@gmail.com put power hammer workshop in the subject line... Not sure if this is what you're looking for???

Thanks for the info, I will check into it!!!!

• 1 month later...

No tire hammer build scheduled at Saltfork yet. Not sure why Clay has not set one up with us yet. We had 24 people interested in building one at the conference, as he was our demonstrator there. I have been gathering the steel and have it all cut now. I'll post photos of the in process work once I find out how to do this.

Going to contact I- forge to see how to post them.

Have the upright welded to the bases on the two we are building now. My partner has the dies and hammer parts and should have them made up in the next few weeks. I'll post photos of them as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Still no news on a build for the Saltfork members. ( not sure why, because 24 of us signed up to make them)

My friends and I have been forging ahead on power hammers anyway. We have almost all of the stock cut and have welded the main posts to the bases on three of them, I'll  start a 4th next week. A minor variant I'm going to try is to use a 32" - 36" round base rather than the 2' square one. I think the 2' square base is a little small and the round base will have the anvil close to the center of the plate. I picked up  (2) 1/2 x 32" rounds today. Using them for bases should promote a better balance, which should reduce vibration.

One of us had some 5/8 plate we used for two bases. Those bases are 24" x 36" and should be more stable than the one in the plans, which are 24' x 24". I think the round bases will have the greatest stability of all. The round ones I got were scrap, so I will look for 36" round 1/2 " plate. This would allow for the anvil to be set in the center of the round plate , giving it better  balance than the plan base.

I'll update again when we weld again!

Dan,

In regard the base size, whatever size you decide upon get it as thick as you can afford. You really have to mechanically mount these hammers to a flat surface. The hammers will oscillate if operated unsecured. Don't operate unsecured, it can hurt you. I have seen them on concrete slabs, oak bases, bolted to barn decks and various steel plate bases but they were all securely bolted down. The 2x2 base in the plans works well because it's easily moved around. If after installation you want to silence the hammer somewhat, fill the column with sand and oil. Also some folks put a horse stall pad under the hammer base. Good luck with your build.

Peter

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...