I Forge Iron

• 2 months later...

My little Zipmax pales in comparison (so far) but I'd like to think Kirkpatrick and me share more than the moniker...........

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=kirkpatrick%20macmillan&source=web&cd=1&sqi=2&ved=0CGIQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FKirkpatrick_Macmillan&ei=-lXaT8L0Hqqq2QXZ9pG4Bg&usg=AFQjCNEvwQH5ehGf5BmJ--01kP79E3qORQ&cad=rja

ifi is making me home sick i grew up not 10 miles from Macmillans work shop at keir,and frank turley was speaking of edward martin of close burn scotland(sick of horse shoes and rr spikes),all my old stomping ground.spent many night oot on the randan aboot there parts.

ifi is making me home sick i grew up not 10 miles from Macmillans work shop at keir,and frank turley was speaking of edward martin of close burn scotland(sick of horse shoes and rr spikes),all my old stomping ground.spent many night oot on the randan aboot there parts.

If I ever get back to the UK I'll have to visit that smithy and root around a bit, I'm sure it would be a HOOT MON!

Not seeing any answers about the noise level let me say it is not near as quiet as the video seems.
If you notice, all of the background noise (music) goes away when the hammer is running.
What is happening is the mike pickup is cutting the noise level from the hammer back to what the music level is set at.
There is no way to tell how loud it is from the video.

• 1 month later...

It was not without a fair amount of trepidation that I headed north to the ABANA conference to demo/sell my brainchild/money pit. Things went very well aside from nearly melting in the fierce blacktop heat I'm happy to say....On to NOMMA in the spring... B) ..Below are couple of pieces I made at the conference

The Green Man is 8.5''x11'' x12ga x 1/2'' relief...3-4 hrs. The silicon bronze waterjet cut leaf is 22ga. and was veined and formed in 10-15 min.

post-15096-0-21504700-1343230196_thumb.j

post-15096-0-36432100-1343230218_thumb.j

post-15096-0-72854300-1343230234_thumb.j

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Dave, a friend of mine across the pond built a Zip and instead of weights for ajusting hammer pressure he put an adjustable spring directly over the hammer where the weights were.....Way smarter than weights.......But it had an exposed spring which, in some ways looks just as funky as a stack of weights, so a light or two came on and bada bing......The spring is inside the slotted tube is adjusted by a screw press and the pressure is appliedto the hammer via a cantilevered bar welded to the hammer. I've yet to find a spring with the correct tension and the crank handle is just super glued on as a mock up, but I think it will be an improvement over the old system.....ah well, seemed important to me anyway.....

post-15096-0-98924800-1353253114_thumb.j

post-15096-0-17505300-1353253165_thumb.j

post-15096-0-08361400-1353253212_thumb.j

Easy fix Sam, the bolt that captures the indexing rod will do the same with the spring tensioner tower, no change there. The indexing forks on the hammer valve body will need to be carefully cut off and replaced with a 5/16x1'' flat bar about 3 1/2'' long welded 90deg from the body like the old forks....it's still being perfected so make due with what ya got for now bucko...... B)
Phil, the weights work just fine but they look kinda hokey which isn't what prospective buyers like to see, appearance is almost as important as function imo. This improvement should give the operator a full range of adjustments in pounds or ounces and do it fast, now where the heck did I put that XXXXXX weight?..... :huh:

• 2 weeks later...

For awile now I've been using grade 8 bolts for lower dies, they work but the steel isn't all that great and they're a pain to cut off and grind the round in the lathe.
I've been thinking about a way to forge my own and I came up with this. Top plate; 1 1/4'' hole 9/16 thick for the head, bottom plate 1'' thick with a 3/4'' hole for the shank. Heat up a slug, put it in da hole and squish with the 25 ton H press. Not sure what tool steel I'll use when I start producing bunches of em but that's the easy part.

post-15096-0-09454500-1354322111_thumb.j

Looks like a great machine Bruce.   If I were doing ornamental work I would be ordering one.   I have used a handheld muffler type gun modified so the chisel will not rotate.  It saves hours of work and for simple incising work probably works as well for some work.  But for the grooving and repousse work etc.  the Zipmax blows it away.   Because the pneumatic tools are hitting THOUSANDS of rapid light blows I think you actually get a better finish then doing it by hand as well as being astronomically faster.

Are you stocking a finished one for sale Bruce?  I am starting to get a little more historical restoration work to quote and may end up doing some ornamental work again in the next couple of years. 

Looks like a great machine Bruce.   If I were doing ornamental work I would be ordering one.   I have used a handheld muffler type gun modified so the chisel will not rotate.  It saves hours of work and for simple incising work probably works as well for some work.  But for the grooving and repousse work etc.  the Zipmax blows it away.   Because the pneumatic tools are hitting THOUSANDS of rapid light blows I think you actually get a better finish then doing it by hand as well as being astronomically faster.

Are you stocking a finished one for sale Bruce?  I am starting to get a little more historical restoration work to quote and may end up doing some ornamental work again in the next couple of years. 

Thanks for your comments, I keep a few on hand ready to ship.