I Forge Iron

Well alright Ted, here it is................As soon as I do a final R&D on a the raised grooving and forming lower die I will offer one on these for sale on this thread (with the Chief's blessing) with a percentage to be donated to IFI.........The new lower die, if it's up to snuff, will lower the cost cause it will combine the two functions and be way simpler to machine..........I hate the new improved pix upload flail ...... <_<
Sorry I give up, even when I reduce to 480x640 it's no go...................

photos now attached

post-1-0-31395500-1321294462_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-59644500-1321294469_thumb.jpg

Seems to me like it might be nice if there was an option to have another foot control or pedal to open the dies. Maybe a cable type arrangement.

I thought about that very thing as well, and almost called on the local bike mechanic to help with it. After some thought, operating two pedals seemed too complicated since the problem of lifting the power head and weights with both hands at times (grunt) was eliminated and left one hand free..........

Macbruce, The last two photos answered my question about the mounting. Thanks. I am impressed with your last video. Were you using the extra 15 lb weight in this case? Ted

Only 2-3lbs of weight. The chisel and rounded hammer were floated about the thickness of the material to prevent digging and to make the piece easy to move. I spend a fair amount of time dialing in each process....Air pressure, weight, dressing tools, when that's done you're off an running at about 10 leaves a min, not counting hand hammering about the edges. It likes to slip off the edges.....

• 2 weeks later...

What? No video?

I am liking this tool considerably.

Phil

Well a video of a chisel cutting through sheet is about like watching paint dry,by hand or machine. The grooving vid pretty much covers that anyway. It just has a sharper chisel and more weight for cutting........

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Yeah, you make all your grooves with the Zip, then lay in brazing, then grind the surface clean and flush.

Your proposition is viable I think but another way is to lay wire in the groove and peen over the raised edges of the groove to capture the wire as shown on the right. I've seen this done on Moroccan ash trays, blades, suits of armor, etc, using brass, copper,silver and gold wire. This is just .035 mig wire.

The other grooves are tests using different psi's on 16ga steel 20-60. 20psi is as low as it will go and still hit. The others show varying depths from full open throttle (deep) to lesser depths when the flow of air is lessened....It will go allot deeper with more weight, pressure and a slower feed.

post-15096-0-82283500-1329875857_thumb.j

• 1 month later...