I Forge Iron

Brian Brazeal Striking anvil

I "Had" to stop by the scrap yard today on the way home and picked up a chunk measures 9 inches long by 4 1/4 wide by 3 1/4 thick 37 lbs. Now I need to get to the water jet guy
can not seem to attach picture error 500?
How far from the end did you put the hardy hole?

• 3 months later...

Ok. This idea has come up for me. Currently I have a 2" thick 6"x14" plate. My question is, would it be feasible to cut it in half and make 2 small striking anvils, 6x7" and 2" thick?

Would look something like this
striktop.jpg

I know its small, but it would leave you with a 5" by 6" area to work if you take out for the hardie hole and pritchel hole. That's with leaving 1" buffer on either side of those.

Thoughts?

And this is where my complete lack of experience becomes way to obvious :D

Demensions wise, how far would you recomend having the hardy from the edges? Maybe move it in 1.5" instead of 1"? Should I leave it there and just move the pritchel either to an opposite corner or maybe closer to the edge itself?

Thanks again for the time on this.

I must admit to not knowing much about your method for forging hammers. I do however have a question about a sledge hammer specific anvil.
I have been making a lot of axes recently and tend to save them up for when I have a helper come around and strike for me. I saw the tread on the Brian Brazeal striking leg vice and will be making a lower leg vice for striking, It is something I have wanted to do for years, so thanks for reinspiring me.
I want However to combine it with a lower anvil so the whole rig has enough enertia to withstand hard blows .
My question is about the mass of the striking anvil? would they not work a lot more efficiently if they were a lot heavier? or am I missing something.
All the best Owen

Basher, Yes, it would be better to have more mass. The stand it is on makes alot of difference, too. My striking anvil was made to allow people who have never struck before make tools without worrying about harming a regular anvil. People will and have missed when striking. It is also safer becuase it does not have the rebound like a normal anvil, so when they do miss, they don't knock themselves out.