I Forge Iron

What would you do in this situation?

Fe-Wood

I am working out the details for a piece and have a question on cracking. When I cut the smaller thin section away and forged it out, all was fine. I then closed up the "Y" and began to forge the shape on the bottom of the "Y", where it goes into what I call the Gumby Foot (left side of first picture). While I was drawing that part out, the crack began to appear. Do you guys have any tricks for stopping this kind of thing? I'm using "off the shelf" mild steel and I didn't quench that area. I believe it has to do with the vibration caused from hammering... Suggestions?
Thanks!

post-6253-0-04128900-1318301952_thumb.jp

post-6253-0-38154200-1318301979_thumb.jp

My guess was there was a very small crack or defect in the stock. It was worked too cold at some point in the forging process and it opened up more AKA (too much fussing). Fill it with weld blend it in and move on with your life. Then vow not to work it too cold next time. If you were using better quality material 1018 or such it probably would not happened. Hot rolled steel is basically remelted scrap with variable working qualities we use it because its cheep not because it is the best.

It looks like the section just above the crack was thinned by one or more miss-hits. In addition, cracks propagate from stress risers which typically start as notches, however minute. This one may have originated in your chisel cut and developed during the forging operation then finally became apparent when the element was pulled out. If you want to save the piece and are careful, it might forge weld shut, especially if you use an O/A torch to control the heat (or you can "dot" it with a MIG and grind it).

Thanks for all the ideas and suggestions. I am using this piece as the template and learning piece. When I forge the "real" ones I'm hoping I don't run into the same problem. I did close up the "tendril" (but not all the way at the root, the tip was touching the main part) thinking it would help with vibration. I was working with medium to high red heat. I watched the crack form as I was drawing out the "foot" section. I don't think it was caused by the chiseling in the beginning, but it could have been. I did file out the flashing from cut area before forging with the hopes of eliminating this problem. I don't really want to do the tendril last because it will make blending the sizes harder. I am thinking maybe wrapping it with baling wire to help stabilize it.... I'm going to try again in the morning.

Hi Fewood. I had the exact same problem with almost the exact same element that you showed above. The problem is that the little finger has enough mass so that its inertia causes flexing at the root when the main trunk is impacted. There are a bunch of ways to solve this problem. The way I solved it was changing the order of operations and doing any forging after the tendril was developed at a very high heat. Also, it helped to interpose a lossy material at the places where vibrations can cause problem, like a wet sock or piece of rotten wood. The problem is not really vibrations, it is the inertia of the secondary piece. Imagine standing on one of those whirly platforms that are often found in playgrounds. Someone starts it impulsively. You are liable to slip. Now, imagine holding a big heavy box over your head, and the person does the same thing. Give it a try. See???

I like the drilled hole idea... I have never worked 1018 that I know of. Love working wrought. I may try fullering it into a small radius after cutting too...

I just bought a Fly Press so I'm going to wait until I get that before I make more.....

... ..... I may try fullering it into a small radius after cutting too...

For a book about fullering a cut, I highly recommend the book:

The Skills of a Blacksmith: v.1: Mastering the Fundamentals of Blacksmithing [Hardcover]
Author: Mark Aspery
 Hardcover: 300 pages
 Publisher: Mark Aspery (March 24, 2007)
 ISBN-10: 0981548008
 ISBN-13: 978-0981548005
 Product Dimensions: 11 x 8.8 x 1 inches

He shows making and using a nifty tool for fullering the cut.

No Thomas its from out east, its a "C" frame.
Mark's books are excellent! I don't have any but I have worked some of the projects with friends.
Steve, Fullering seams the ticket. I am going to try the drilled hole too because it will help with layout... I think

Fuller or file so there is no sharp edge. and you have to control movement. Flopping back and forth at black heat is no good.
You sure did not waste any time finding a flypress- what did you get? I have been looking but with no work now it is just looking.

There is something called the blue brittle range of temperature from about 300 to 700ºF. It is said that it doesn't affect our everyday A36 and 1018 so much, but I wonder. I have experienced breaking at one end of a bar while I'm hammering on the other end. The end that broke was warm, possibly in the blue brittle range.

The Vanishing Point. A fellow smith pointed out the natural, growthy looking joint of a branch to a stem in blacksmithing, and he called it the vanishing point. It is the interior of the joint where the two pieces beome one line, a shut, and then the line narrows and disappears. To me this is an aesthetically nice appearance in blacksmithing which can be gained from forge welding or hot splitting. If you punch or drill a hole at the base of the hot split, you will lose some material. I haven't tried to make a hole and then close it up again to attempt to get the 'vanishing point.' I think you'd have to start with oversized material. I've punched a hole when splitting the tines of a barbeque fork, and I made a loss allowance.

Something that Mark Aspery teaches is to use a chisel with a rounded edge on the side where the Y will be so that you have a slight radius there instead of a sharp split. That way the tendency to act as a crack starter is mostly countered. I have seemingly had good results with this system.

Frank and Bigfoot-
Good points both- If I were going to drill a hole, it would be in the 3/32" range because I like the "vanishing point" you speak of. I'm waiting for my press to arrive before I continue with this project. I believe I will soften one edge of the butchers that are coming with the press. I may end up making steeper angled "slitters" to do this too so they act more like a chisel.