I Forge Iron

"barn find" 25 LG !

Ok, it didn't come out of a barn, and I didn't find it. It was listed on craigslist and it came out of an old blacksmith's shop, where it's been sitting unused for a long time, maybe 20 years....? I don't have any experience with power hammers at all, and I'm mostly afraid I'll damage it by incorrect use. What's the best way to learn all about LGs ? Is there a good book, or maybe Sid's Rebuilding the LG video ?
I know you guys love photos, so here ya go....!

post-22489-0-75088900-1318225865_thumb.j

post-22489-0-64726700-1318225877_thumb.j

post-22489-0-32496900-1318225886_thumb.j

post-22489-0-42314300-1318225902_thumb.j

post-22489-0-73687800-1318225919_thumb.j

post-22489-0-05755400-1318225938_thumb.j

Nice find. The machine looks to be in great shape. Lube up all moving parts and work the oil in manually. I would try to get a flat pulley for the motor(if it is missing) and put a flat belt back on. I use that set-up on my 35 lb Champion and it has worked flawlessly for many years. It is easy to control the speed by varying the amount of slipping of the belt with the idler pully.

You lucky dog! A beautiful machine, thanks for not telling the price.........V belts, no way....but if you did use em three would ruin your motor bearing or worse the flywheel bearing......An ''A'' v belt will transfer 2.2 hp per belt roughly, so one would do the job. Not that it matters but it just wouldn't look right........I have 3 ''B'' belts(bigger) on my 10 hp compressor for example, the larger motor has bigger bearings to handle the extra strain, yours is likely a 1 hp.

LG25# hammers only need a 1hp--1750rpm motor==according to LG spec. A flat belt is best but I have been using a 'V' belt on mine for years. I had a double pulley and 2 belts but only one was doing the work so I removed one. The pulley on the hammer is crowned so one is making a harder contact and doing the work. IIRC, the pulley on your motor needs to be 2.5" to have the correct pulley ratio. Good for you on the find! looks to be in good condition.

NJAnvilman: Champions work with a slipping flat belt pulley; Little Giants have a built in clutch and should use that for control. (note that keeping the LG clutch oiled is a requirement for most clutch systems I have seen them with!)

That LG looks stock! and *very* little wear! Great find.

The best way to learn how to use one is to find a smith with one and learn first hand.---would you ride with a person who learned to drive a car by reading a book?

Often hammer-ins have good powerhammer use involved. Quad-State even had one session by Alan Flashing of Oakland, OR; called "Power Hammer Development of shapes & designs".

Powerhammers *are* powered equipment and can be dangerous to use without any instruction; but a Saturday spent with a experienced user should get you well started.

Looks like a good find to me. A "new" style Yes? I'm running a single V belt on my 50 LG and it's doing me just fine for now.

Get instruction if you can, especially if you don't have much experience running shop size power tools on this scale. If you have to figure it out yourself take it easy on the treadle, a little pressure and it'll go slower and hit easier so you have a chance to judge the action and reaction before bad things happen. If you just tromp on it a 25LG has a blow rate around 325 blows per minute and this is fast and hard enough to ruin your day, month, year. . . Sigh.

If you can swing it, I'd grab it fast. I may have a power hammer but a guy can't have too many power hammers can he?

Frosty the Lucky.

oh, I can swing it alright. Those photos were taken in my garage. = ) yes, new style. SN 7548, shipped 4-30-1947 to the Des Moines Iron Co. (a wholesaler) you can see, that name is still written on the frame, so it is in original condition.
thanks, everyone for the replies; I've seen pictures of 100 lb LGs with the triple belts, and I just thought it looked cool.....I guess the single flat belt is the way to go !

...I guess the single flat belt is the way to go !

My hammer is the same setup/vintage as yours. I run mine with 2 V belts and have never has a problem. I'll put up a picture tomorrow.

Where are you in MN? I am way southeast MN near Winona.

hi Bob, ! I'm in St. Paul. I talked to you earlier in the summer about the 50 lb LG that was for sale. Did you ever get it sold ?

Potato, You must have me confused with someone else. I didn't sell a 50lber. I would remember that.

I do have a treadle hammer for sale tho. Clay Spencer swing arm type.

I am not in the Guild but they seem to be a very active group.

Good luck with your new hammer.