I Forge Iron

200 pound Bradley

After working my tail off all summer in San Diego, away from home for almost 4 months. I had decided to upgrade the 100 pound Little Giant. I was really looking for a self contained air hammer but was coming to the conclusion that I didn't have the funds for the size I really wanted.

Just before I finished the job in Dan diego Clinton forwarded a link to me about this 200 pound Bradley for sale in San Francisco. After talking with a few people at Octoberfest, I was pretty sure (or more sure than I already was) I was going to buy it. I had made arrangements to look it over on my way home from Octoberfest on Sunday night. Turns out I sold the Little Giant at Octoberfest too.

Sometimes one just has to go where the wind blows them...

After looking the Hammer over, We wired and fired up the Bradley. Runs smooth and sounds great. It also comes with a sales brochure.

I will be picking it up next week. I think I'm going to move my whole smithy outside....

post-6253-0-39349500-1317659935_thumb.jp

post-6253-0-84597200-1317659963_thumb.jp

post-6253-0-04890200-1317659998_thumb.jp

post-6253-0-42363200-1317660063_thumb.jp

Yes it is a good looking hammer, I went to look at it last week for Fe. I am glad that it was still there when he was able to see it for himself. It was too big for my back yard shop, if it were a 100 pound hammer I would have tried to work out a deal for myself.
post-10376-0-35791000-1317673795_thumb.jpost-10376-0-25108100-1317673803_thumb.j

I had the pleasure of meeting David Brown this summer. He has a 100 pounder in his shop and loves it. The way he described the difference between the Bradley and a self contained was in part what made me jump on this hammer. Besides the no shipping cost.....

Guest Low-Alloy

I had the pleasure of meeting David Brown this summer. He has a 100 pounder in his shop and loves it. The way he described the difference between the Bradley and a self contained was in part what made me jump on this hammer. Besides the no shipping cost.....
If you don't mind, could you tells us the described differences between a self contained hammer and a Bradley hammer? Not having used either I would like to hear them.Thanks

Low-Alloy-
I haven't used the Bradley yet so I can't speek to the difference from experiance. From what David was telling me, it has to do with the type of hit, power and control each hammer can produce. Mechanical and self contained hammers each have there inherant limitations....

T

Low-Alloy-
I haven't used the Bradley yet so I can't speek to the difference from experiance. From what David was telling me, it has to do with the type of hit, power and control each hammer can produce. Mechanical and self contained hammers each have there inherant limitations....

The Bradley Compact Upright is powered by the motor with a flat belt. The speed of the ram is controlled by how much the belt is tightened with the foot treadle. The lighter the touch on the treadle, the slower the ram will cycle (the belt slips). The speed of the ram determines how hard the ram hits (at higher speeds, the ram is "flung" down with more force than just it's dropping weight)

A self-contained is powered by an integrated air compressor (within the frame of the hammer). Every stroke of the air compressor (constant speed, driven by a motor) produces a stroke of the ram. How far the ram comes down during that stroke is controlled by the treadle (valves turned by linkage from the treadle control the air, which will push/pull the ram up and down).

Either hammer, if in tip-top shape, could crack an egg without breaking it (assuming the die spacing on the mechanical is appropriate for it).

Either hammer can be used with tooling (with the mechanical generally needing more setup to adjust to tooling height).

Self contained hammers can usually be used for clamping (ram held down by air pressure).

Self contained hammers generally have more air-space (distance between the dies during the stroke) than mechanicals. This gives you more room for tooling and or larger projects.

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think the die location was a factory option on later hammers. I also have a modification for the motor mount that looks factory. It isn't running yet. I'll be working on that this winter. I'm converting my shop to 3 phase :D Seems all the tools I want run on it so I better wire for it! I haven't decided on the permanent home yet so I'm going to mount it on a timber platform with a steel plate. Hopefully I won't drive it through the floor.....

Nice hammer! After watching the Clifton Ralph dvd's, it made me want a Bradley. I am getting by with the Anyang 88, but theres something so alluring about a hammer with history! I like the handle to adjust for work height. In Clifton Ralphs dvds, he is constantly grabbing those wrenches to adjust it, the handle will make things much quicker.