I Forge Iron

joshua.M

tomhw

You're absolutely correct ATF is not a lubricant! If I were concerned about the oil being too heavy in my crank blower I'd use Marvel Mystery Oil, drizzled on through the oiler hole as needed. The gear boxes of most hand cranks were intended to hold oil (no seals) but to be lubed as needed.

From wikipedia: Automatic Transmission Fluid

"The fluid is a highly specialized oil optimized for the special requirements of a transmission, such as valve operation, brake band friction and the torque converter as well as gear lubrication.

ATF is also used as a hydraulic fluid in some power assisted steering systems, as a lubricant in some 4WD transfer cases, and in the manual transmissions of many modern front-wheel drive cars"

Gear lubrication sounds OK for something to lubricate gears with.

Generally I use the light machine oil sold to lubricate swampcoolers as I get a new bottle every year and can find partials cheap at the fleamarket...

I would offer that ATF is an excellent light gear oil, hydraulic oil and circulating oil. Many modern BIG Mobil equipment types (Read Tractors and earth movers) use ATF in all the systems such as the hydraulic systems and gear boxes.

ATF has the lowest pour point of any easy to obtain oil, has an EXCELLENT anti-wear package and very good anti-oxidation package. I use ATF in the blower gear boxes in my unheated forge. Turns easy winter and summer.

Phillips MM 10 wt works well as does Marvel Mystery oil. I built an airgate years ago and no longer have the issues in the shop. The trailer blower has MM 20wt in it. To each his own I guess. I have had MM20wt and seafoam mix in the compressor ( changed occasionally ) for at least 10 years.

• 5 weeks later...

I use spray grease. It goes in like a thin oil and then something evaporates and it then becomes very tacky/slippery. It sticks to the gears. Nasty stuff. You cannot wipe it up off the floor. You'd have to use brake parts cleaner.

I used some ATF once and thought it too light, but then I don't use these gear boxes in the freezing weather either!!

90w gear oils made a big mess.

I had wondered about ATF as a lube. I mean, if it is inside a transmission gear box, what other oil is in there to lube the gears/bushings and bearings...............................???? Someone had once told me that they DON'T want a lubricant that would burn and if ATF will burn, then they don't want that inside of their automatic transmission.......................Huh?????